# 290 – Israel is Happy by Stephen Pohlmann - Illustrated by Stephen Pohlmann - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

# 290 – Israel is Happy

by

Artwork: Stephen Pohlmann

Helping others to understand Israel - and Israelis to understand others...
  • Joined Sep 2016
  • Published Books 481
2

March 27, 2016

Israel is Happy

Meir Dagan just passed away. He was a big figure in Israel: he was head of Mossad for many years. A popular and very respected figure, yet people’s lives were often in his hand – like Peter Firth, who played the head of MI5 in ‘Spooks’.

3

And just to add to the character of the man, in his retirement, he was always against any attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities, and very vocal in support of the Iranian nuclear deal.

Why mention him? Which other country can openly admire a man such as this. Which man such as this can be ‘so respected’?

 

4

This is Israel……and according the UN, which I recently derided, Israel was No. 11 on their list of Happiness (they have their ‘International Day of Happiness this week). Only the usual Western countries were above them,: the 5 Scandinavians (including Iceland), Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Netherlands and Switzerland. (Denmark was No.1).

And, wait a minute, the OECD put Israel equal-3rd in a ‘general satisfaction with life’ survey last year.

5

The sun shines a lot of the time – the tennis courts are full – most of the coastal waters are clean (although we are expecting an ecological disaster as a result of the sewage coming from Gaza – another form of attack?) – Donovan is appearing in a Tel Aviv amphitheater this week, still promoting TM..

6

…We have book fairs and flea markets – 5 int’l standard orchestras and 3 ice hockey stadiums – the LGBT community feels safer here than in almost any other country in the World, while the very religious community frowns in the sidelines – democracy is so stubborn, that we have members of parliament who would be jailed for treason in almost every other country, democratic or not.

7

And we have all the junk that goes with openness: strikes, protests, demonstrations, a virulent press and an even more virulent political scene, we have more corruption that expected, and charities on every corner (the latter 2 sometimes interlink). We have some of the worst drivers in the World, with far more deaths on the roads than in the many wars we’ve had – but bikes are slowly taking over.

8

We’re one of the most technologically-advanced nations in the World, but ‘tradition’ is still a golden word. Just look at how many candles are list every Friday night, and how many tress are planted (over 1 million) just on the 1-day festival of Tu-Bishvat.

 

9
# 290 – Israel is Happy by Stephen Pohlmann - Illustrated by Stephen Pohlmann - Ourboox.com

Yes, Donald Trump is threatening to build the country’s 2nd 18-hole gold course, but there will be resistance, because, although we no longer have the danger of water shortage over our head (no, the next war with Israel will  NOT be over water), we still think it’s immoral to use so much water for such frivolity. (We claim to have more tennis courts per capita here than in any other country, but none are grass or clay, which would need water).

11

And you wait: Tel Aviv will be high on anyone’s list of favorite place to live, once the light rail system is installed. (Give it 10 years).

Stephen

 

PS – Didn’t even get a thank-you card from the tourist ministry.

12
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Skip to content