Great Britain by Uliana Semenchuk - Illustrated by Nenashko Diana - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Great Britain

by

Artwork: Nenashko Diana

  • Joined Apr 2018
  • Published Books 1
Great Britain by Uliana Semenchuk - Illustrated by Nenashko Diana - Ourboox.com

Task 1. Read the short passage.

 

The United Kingdom is a large island located in Europe. It also includes part of the island of Ireland. It is made up of four nations: England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Over 60 million people live in the United Kingdom. The vast majority of the population, however, lives in England. The government of the United Kingdom is considered a constitutional monarchy. A constitutional monarchy is a government in which the monarch (king or queen) is head of state. Queen Elizabeth II is the monarch of the United Kingdom. In reality, however, she exercises very little political power.

3
Great Britain by Uliana Semenchuk - Illustrated by Nenashko Diana - Ourboox.com

The history of the United Kingdom is full of wars, invasions, revolutions, and interesting rulers. Numerous castles, fortifications, old cathedrals, and ruins are evidence of the kingdom’s past. The “UK,” as it is often called, was once the world’s most powerful nation. Canada, Australia, India, Pakistan, and even the United States, are among nations that used to be controlled by the United Kingdom. It is also the birthplace of the English language.

5
Great Britain by Uliana Semenchuk - Illustrated by Nenashko Diana - Ourboox.com

There are many remarkable landmarks to see in the United Kingdom such as the Tower of London, Big Ben, Oxford University and the mysterious Stonehenge. Oxford University, founded sometime in the 12th century, is the oldest university in the English-speaking world. Many of the United Kingdom’s former prime ministers attended Oxford. Stonehenge, located near Salisbury, England, is a group of giant standing stones arranged in a circular formation. Archaeologists believe the formations are over 4,500 years old. No one knows exactly what Stonehenge is meant to represent.

7
Great Britain by Uliana Semenchuk - Illustrated by Nenashko Diana - Ourboox.com

Task 2. Answer the questions about the United Kingdom.

  1. What continent is the United Kingdom in?

    1.   Asia
    2.   England
    3.   Scotland
    4.   Europe
  2. Which of the following is not a country that makes up the United Kingdom?

    1.   London
    2.   Northern Ireland
    3.   Scotland
    4.   Wales
9

3. Which of the following is not a country that makes up the United Kingdom?

  1.   London
  2.   Northern Ireland
  3.   Scotland
  4.   Wales

4. Which of the following would PROBABLY not be evidence of United Kingdom’s past?

  1.   Old churches and cathedrals
  2.   Castles and fortifications
  3.   Computers and technology
  4.   Stonehenge
10

5. Which of the following nations was NOT once controlled by the United Kingdom

  1.   USA
  2.   Canada
  3.   Australia
  4.   Russia

6. Why is Stonehenge mysterious?

  1.   It is old
  2.   No one knows what it supposed to represent
  3.   The stones are heavy
  4.   The stones are mostly grey
11
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content