Laboratory Safety: Science 8A Unit 1 Lesson 9 Teacher: Deborah Swanson by Cameron Norton - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Laboratory Safety: Science 8A Unit 1 Lesson 9 Teacher: Deborah Swanson

  • Joined Sep 2017
  • Published Books 1

What safety rules should I follow before, during, and after a laboratory investigation?

 

Before using the lab:

Before you do anything in the lab, first identify where the first aid station is, fire extinguisher, sink, and safety and special disposal equipment in the lab.

Read the lab all the way through before doing the lab, follow the lab exactly step by step.

Listen carefully for instructions.  Ask any questions before you start your lab.

Keep your work area clean and organized.

If a container doesn’t have a label, don’t use it and notify your instructor.

2

 

During the lab

Wear goggles, an apron, tie back long hair, wear closed-toe shoes to protect eyes and skin from hazardous chemicals.

Don’t rush through the steps in the lab.  Go slow and be thorough.

Move slowly and carefully around the lab to prevent spills or accidents.

When using scissors to cut items, always point them upwards when cutting.

Wear heat resistant gloves when handling hot objects.

Wear plastic gloves when handling animals, plants, or chemicals.

Make sure electric cords are untangled and out of the way.

When transferring a chemical, have a firm grip on glassware.

If an accident happens, report it immediately to the teacher and follow their instructions.

3

After Using the Lab

Clean up after the experiment is completed.

Turn off or unplug any equipment.

Handle glassware gently during cleanup.

Dispose of waste material properly in the proper containers.  If in doubt, ask.

Dispose of your gloves properly after you complete an experiment.  Start from your wrists and remove inside out on one hand. Ball it into your other gloved hand and remove the second glove from the inside out as well starting from the wrist.  Dispose of both gloves in the trash can.

Wash your hands before leaving the lab.

4

What do safety symbols look like? What do they mean? Provide at least three examples.

Safety symbols are either yellow or orange depending on the severity of the hazard.  They also have an icon for easy understanding of the hazard at a glance.

The symbols are for the safety of you and others around you and to make you aware of a possible hazard that could occur.

3 symbols from the list are flammable, toxic, and general danger.

5
Laboratory Safety: Science 8A Unit 1 Lesson 9 Teacher: Deborah Swanson by Cameron Norton - Ourboox.com

The flammable safety icon means that a fire could occur when using a chemical incorrectly or if mixed with another chemical, or if spilled.  Be careful.  Know how to properly put out a chemical fire beforehand.  Know where the fire extinguisher is and notify the teacher immediately if an item becomes flammable.

7
Laboratory Safety: Science 8A Unit 1 Lesson 9 Teacher: Deborah Swanson by Cameron Norton - Ourboox.com

The toxic icon means a poisonous substance to your body and can cause it harm.  For example poison ivy could be poisonous to people that touch it or are near it.

9
Laboratory Safety: Science 8A Unit 1 Lesson 9 Teacher: Deborah Swanson by Cameron Norton - Ourboox.com

The general danger icon lets the user know that there is a possibility of general dangers that could occur in the area, like broken glass or being pricked by something.  It’s not a life threatening danger.

11

How should I prepare for a field study and what should I do if there is an accident?

12
Laboratory Safety: Science 8A Unit 1 Lesson 9 Teacher: Deborah Swanson by Cameron Norton - Ourboox.com

Don’t wear shorts or short-sleeved shirts or sandals when doing field studies.

Do wear pants, long sleeved shirts and close-toed shoes so you are not exposed to health hazards.

Be familiar with the area and look up hazardous conditions in the area.

Know what the weather will be like beforehand and plan accordingly.

Be prepared for any accidents that may occur by having a first aid kit readily available.

If there is an accident notify the teacher immediately so she can administer first aid.

14

The End

15

Check My Work:

http://www.connexus.com/assessments/checkMyWork/launchOriginalityReport.aspx?id=3569

 

References:

Flammable Symbol: Flammable Symbol

General Danger Symbol: General Danger Symbol

Lab Photo: Lab Photo

Toxic Symbol: Toxic Symbol

16
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content