https://www.ocregister.com/2015/10/22/drought-how-less-water-is-actually-helping-monarch-butterflies/
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

How Does A Butterfly Grow?

  • Joined Feb 2020
  • Published Books 1

Just like humans, every animal and insect grows and grows until they have reached their adult life. One of the insects with a magnificent life cycle is the butterfly. The butterfly is a very complex insect, it starts out as a small egg, but grows into a beautiful adult butterfly with all different radiant colors.

In this book, you will learn about how a butterfly grows and what it’s life cycle is like.

2
https://www.activityvillage.co.uk/life-cycle-of-a-butterfly

The first stage of a butterfly is the egg. The eggs is usually round and oval in shape and are typically laid on leaves. If you look very closely, you can see a tiny caterpillar growing inside each and every one.

4
http://rhartshorne.com/summer-2013/khoffman/mm-shell/4%20Stages%20of%20Butterfly%20Life%20Cycle/4%20Stages%20of%20Butterfly%20Life%20Cycle.html

The next stage is the larva, or the caterpillar. During this stage, caterpillar’s eat and eat and eat until they are full. Although this is the shortest stage of their life cycle, it is one of the most important because it gives them the strength to grow. 

6
How Does A Butterfly Grow? by Alyssa Penizotto - Ourboox.com

The third stage of a butterfly is the pupa, or chrysalis. As soon as a caterpillar is done growing from all of the eating, they form themselves into a pupa. From the outside of the pupa, it looks as if the caterpillar may just be resting, but the inside is where all of the action is happening.

8
How Does A Butterfly Grow? by Alyssa Penizotto - Ourboox.com

The final stage of a butterfly’s life is when it becomes an adult butterfly, the best part! When the butterfly first comes out of the pupa, both of the wings are soft and folded against its body. After that, it pumps blood into it’s wings so it can fly away and meet new friends in the world!

10
https://fineartamerica.com/featured/male-adult-blue-morpho-butterfly-jeffrey-miller-visuals-unlimited-science-photo-library.html

Watch the video on the next page to see what it looks like when a butterfly grows for yourself!

12

13

Here are some questions to consider!

  1. What stage is the shortest stage of a butterfly’s life cycle?

  2. What is the second stage of a butterfly’s life cycle?

  3. What comes after the larva stage?

  4. How does a butterfly begin to fly?

14

Activities to do!

  1. Draw your own butterfly life cycle and include every stage that you learned about!

  2. Create a 3-D version of each stage using things around the classroom! Ask a friend to help if you get stuck!

15
16
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content