Al Kooper, Luck Maker by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Al Kooper, Luck Maker

After fruitful careers as a scientist and inventor I've gone back to what I love most - writing children's books Read More
  • Joined Oct 2013
  • Published Books 1550

Al Kooper (another Jewish boy from Queens) is one of my favorite sixties musicians. Not because he knew Paul Simon.

 

2

Not only because he had his first major songwriting hit when he was 21 (This Diamond Ring).

4

5

Not only because he formed one of my favorite sixties (jazz rock) groups, “Blood, Sweat and Tears” and sang on their amazing first album.

6

7

Not only because he was the main man behind the history-making Super Session album.

Enjoy: Season of the Witch – written by Donovan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8

9

But because he instigated one of the best stories of sixties music. And even though there may be more legend than truth, it’s a perfect example of what we call “the luck burglar“.

 

10

According to the story, Al Kooper was supposed to be a guest at Dylan’s recording of “Like a Rolling Stone” in June, 1965. He, however, had other intentions which included sitting in as a guitarist.  Given that Mike Bloomfield was there, he demurred.

11

At some point, the Hammond organ was turned on and unoccupied, so he occupied it and cooked up a simple but extremely potent impromptu riff which Dylan liked.

I hope you will agree that the organ helps make the song much more memorable. It made Al Kooper unforgettable too.

12

To use a baseball metaphor, Al Kooper ran from the bleachers to mid-field to catch the fly ball. He wasn’t lucky. He didn’t wait for luck. He burst into the picture and made it happen –  a luck maker par excellence.

 

13

I’m sending this e-book to Al Kooper, and I hope he will read it. I have ordered his own book (on the way from Amazon), and hope it doesn’t contradict my own interpretation. And even if it does, well hey, isn’t everything just a story anyway?

 

 

14

Here’s the song:

15
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Skip to content