An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

An Escape To India

by

Artwork: Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar

  • Joined Apr 2019
  • Published Books 2

  India is known from archaeological evidence that a highly sophisticated urbanized culture. India remains one of the most ethnically diverse countries in the world. India has the Taj Mahal, one of the world’s greatest architectural masterpieces.

  Come, Walk along the pathway beside the reflecting pool with fountains up to the mausoleum crafted in soft & pure marble and jeweled with semi-precious stones, wherein the serenity of paradise rests the Queen in peace with her King. Come to unfold the pages from the past to churn the charm out of its mystique and enrich your imagination about this marvel of an epic in stone, The Taj!

2
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

THE INDIA GATE

The India Gate, originally called the All India War Memorial is a war memorial located astride the Rajpath, on the eastern edge of the “ceremonial axis” of New Delhi, India, formerly called Kingsway.

India Gate is a memorial to 70,000 soldiers of the British Indian Army who died in the period 1914–21 in the First World War, in France, Flanders, Mesopotamia, Persia, East Africa, Gallipoli and elsewhere in the Near and the Far East, and the Third Anglo-Afghan War. 13,300 servicemen’s names, including some soldiers and officers from the United Kingdom, are inscribed on the gate. The India Gate, even though a war memorial, evokes the architectural style of the triumphal arch like the Arch of Constantine, outside the Colosseum in Rome, and is often compared to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, and the Gateway of India in Mumbai. It was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.

4
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

 

 

 

When you want to enjoy Indian street food 

then you have to keep aside your guilt feeling, because it might not always be healthy.

Street foods from cities like;

Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkatta and Indore are quite famous. Each city has their own variety and style of making any particular dish. Example; Golgappa of Delhi is made in a different way then the “Pani Puri” of Mumbai or “Puchka” of Kolkatta. Therefore, you’ll enjoy the different flavors and tastes of a “Pani Puri” if you happen to eat them in different cities.

6
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

Top 10 Street Foods in India

 

 

1.SAMOSA

A classic and popular Indian snack stuffed with spiced potato peas filling.

2.PAV BHAJI

Is one of the most popular street foods of Mumbai. It has spiced smooth mashed mixed vegetables, served with lightly toasted buttered bread.

3.ALOO TIKKI

It is a popular North Indian snack of spiced and crisp potato patties. It is usually served with Chana Masala, topped with onions, sweet Tamarind Chutney, Green Chutney, and some fresh yogurt.

 

9

 

4.VEGGIE NOODLES

An indo Chinese stir-fried preparation of noodles with vegetables. These noodles can be either prepared with spices or without. Some people tend to add chili sauce on them

5.VEGGIE MOMOS

Steamed dumplings stuffed with lightly spiced vegetable filling.

6.PANI PURI

This is a VERY popular street food of India, where crisply fried dough balls are stuffed with potatoes, sprouts, spicy tangy water, and sweet chutney.

7.BHEL PURI

Bhel Puri is a crispy, soft, sweet, tangy, spicy mixture of many edibles like puffed rice, roasted peanuts, sweet chutney, green chutney, onions, tomatoes, sev and it can be made very quickly.

10

 

 

8.VEGGIE HAKKA NOODLES

A popular indo Chinese dish that one can get in most areas in India roadside street food joints.

9.CHOLE BHATURE

It is a spicy chickpea curry served with leavened fried bread.

10.KULCHA

It is a popular Indian flat bread from North India, especially found in Punjab. These softly textured pieces of bread are easy to prepare. Kulcha can be made in Tandoor as well as on a tava or griddle and it can be served with any gravy dish.

 

11
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

Small-Group Home-Cooked Delhi Tour

HOME COOKING IS A VERY WIDE ACTIVITY DONE IN

INDIA

Families tend to get together and have cooking days or nights where lovely, warm chats are carried out. This home cooking can be done with local families, friends, etc. or even when tourists come, some families open up their homes and give foreigners first-hand cooking classes at their homes.

14
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

New Delhi authentic hands-on cooking class

Eat your heart out other cuisines. India is a world leader when it comes to spices. Cumin, cardamoms, chili, turmeric, coriander, fenugreek, cinnamon, pepper, ginger, cloves… the list of ingredients that might be ground together to spice your curry or kebab is endless.

Get the chance to experience a truly Indian cooking class over Lunch/Dinner and the hospitality of a traditional Indian family. You will enjoy great conversation and a chance to get to know the better about India.

16
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

Old Delhi Street Food Tour

Each region of India has its unique street food and Delhi is no exception. Visit our favorite vendors in Old Delhi and try the local specialties chole bature, dahi bhalla and aloo chat, as well as parathas, lassi and the very sweet but delicious jalebis and the local equivalent of rice pudding and bread and butter pudding.

All of these dishes are vegetarian but meat eaters will have the option to try Indian fried chicken towards the end of the tour. Vegetarians, worry not: you can take the opportunity to soak up the atmosphere of the buzzing Matia Mahal district.

In addition to sampling the best of Delhi’s street food, you will also learn about Delhi’s historic “Walled City.” We will absorb the hustle and bustle of the narrow streets as we visit different locations by rickshaw. We will explore the largest spice market in Asia and stop to admire the imposing Jama Masjid.

18
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

If you are interested in learning about a country’s culture, lifestyle join the…

Small-Group Culture Vulture Delhi Tour

Start your day in Delhi with a trip on the metro and a cup of chai, just like the locals. It’ll set you up just fine for a tour of Delhi highlights and local experiences.

This Delhi city tour has it all – you’ll experience the best of Delhi with great street food, markets, bazaars, temples, and famous historical sites.

Stop and sample a samosa from a street stall, wander through narrow alleyways, and see the sights, smells, and people of Delhi front and center. Explore a local market where goods on offer range from wedding paraphernalia to cow dung on a string.

Pay a visit to local temples dedicated to the various Hindu gods.

At the end of your Delhi city tour, your guide can assist with providing tips and suggestions for further exploration in Delhi.

20
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

There are many activities for people who absolutely love adventure and sightseeing!

Small-Group Tour of a Delhi Slum

Sanjay Colony is a small slum built on 25 acres of land located in the south of Delhi near the Bahai Lotus Temple and Iskcon temple. Spend a couple of hours walking around and visiting small-scale businesses, a small temple, a mosque, and residential areas. Learn about working and residential life and witness how despite the challenging living conditions it remains an area charged with positive energy and strong community.

22
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

If you love shopping you should join the…

Made In Delhi Small Group Shopping Tour

It is not sensible to shop on an empty stomach in our opinion, so our Made in Delhi shopping tour will begin with some deliciously spiced Indian rolls from our favorite joint at the market. It’s one of the oldest food vendors in the area. Next, we’ll head over to a locally owned fashion store to check out their impressive collection of readymade Kurtis, beautiful stoles, and kurtas for men. Here you will observe the tailors at work and admire their old-style stitching techniques. On our way to the next stop, we’ll stroll through the sprawling buzz of the main market, stopping off to showcase some of the best artisan products on offer.

24
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

If you want to learn an extensive amount of information about India, the best tour to join would be:

Best of Delhi: ‘New York Times Journeys’ Tour with High Tea

Delhi can be an overwhelming experience for even the most seasoned traveler. That’s why our expert local guides have teamed up with The New York Times travel team to curate the ultimate Delhi tour. Experience colonial India with an English High Tea with a distinctly Indian twist, discover the poetic significance of kite flying in Indian culture and visit one of the country’s most famous and intoxicating spice markets. Not only will you see the city’s top sights, like the Jama Masjid and Haveli Dharampura but we will take you off the beaten track to discover what makes the city and its people tick. If you want to get under the skin of everyday life in Delhi, this is the tour for you.

26

There are also vital features of the New York Times Tour

New York Times Exclusives:

  • Behind the Scenes Access: Tour the Haveli Dharampura and learn how this late Mughal mansion has been lovingly restored to its former glory in recent years
  • Hands-on Element: Fly a kite in the Indian tradition and get a feel for what it must be like during the annual Delhi Kite Festival
  • Local Interactions: Meet a spice vendor who has been supplying fragrant spice mixes to the people of Delhi for generations at the Khari Baoli Market and learn about the different spices that are used by locals for cooking, medicine and beaut
27
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

Are you interested in Gandhi and want to know more about his daily discourse? If your answer is yes, you should join this tour.

Small-Group Gandhi’s Delhi Tour

During your exploration, learn about Gandhi’s philosophy of “satyagraha”, which teaches rejection of injustice through non-violence. Though he was tragically assassinated in 1948, his legacy and spirit lives on in the people of Delhi, with 2 October – his birthday – celebrated as a national holiday.

Continue on to the National Gandhi Museum, where your guide reiterates the visionary man’s non-violent ideals and faith for the future of India. Peruse Gandhi’s belongings – from his walking sticks and robes to his little-known personal paintings – before combing through the library for a more in-depth exploration of Gandhi’s influences and inspirations.

30
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com

Are you a fan of outdoor sports and sightseeing? Also, do you like beautiful sceneries and dark skies lit up by a million stars? What if we say there is a tour combining both?

Delhi Starry Night Cycling Tour

Explore Delhi in Night, its imperial architecture, history, culture & food on a bicycle

Under the stars let’s explore the cosmopolitan vibe of Delhi. The bustling capital’s electrifying evenings, panoramic views of Lutyens and local food sampling on streets will make you fall in love with Delhi. The night cycling tour will be delivered through a beautifully crafted story about modern Delhi’s transformation and its culture. We will visit various historical sites such as India Gate, President’s Estate, and a Sikh temple (Gurudwara Bangla Sahib) to name a few.

32
An Escape To India by Karla Hayhow - Illustrated by Karla Nur Hayhow - Kardelen Çetin - Sara Sankar - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content