Wolves by Katherine Farraj - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Wolves

  • Joined Jan 2021
  • Published Books 3

Wolves are the largest members of the dog family. Adaptable gray wolves are by far the most common and were once found all over the Northern Hemisphere. But wolves and humans have a long adversarial history. Though they almost never attack humans, wolves are considered one of the animal world’s most fearsome natural villains. They do attack domestic animals, and countless wolves have been shot, trapped, and poisoned because of this tendency.

2
Wolves by Katherine Farraj - Ourboox.com

In the lower 48 states, gray wolves were hunted to near extinction, though some populations survived and others have since been reintroduced. Few gray wolves survive in Europe, though many live in Alaska, Canada, and Asia.

Wolf packs :

Wolves live and hunt in packs of around six to ten animals. They are known to roam large distances, perhaps 12 miles in a single day. These social animals cooperate on their preferred prey—large animals such as deer, elk, and moose. When they are successful, wolves do not eat in moderation. A single animal can consume 20 pounds of meat at a sitting. Wolves also eat smaller mammals, birds, fish, lizards, snakes, and fruit.

4

BEHAVIOR

 

Wolves communicate through body language, scent marking, barking, growling, and howling. Much of their communication is about reinforcing the social hierarchy of the pack. When a wolf wants to show that it is submissive to another wolf, it will crouch, whimper, tuck in its tail, lick the other wolf’s mouth, or roll over on its back. When a wolf wants to challenge another wolf, it will growl or lay its ears back on its head. A playful wolf dances and bows. Barking is used as a warning, and howling is for long-distance communication to pull a pack back together and to keep strangers away.

5
Wolves by Katherine Farraj - Ourboox.com

Fun facts about wolves 

 

-Gray wolves are the largest living wild canine species.

-Wolves are the wild ancestor of all our domesticated dogs, from poodles to bulldogs to greyhounds.

-Wolf packs usually hunt within a territory, which can range from 50 square miles (129 square kilometers) to over a 1,000 square miles (2,590 square kilometers).

-Wolves often travel at five miles (8 kilometers) an hour, but can reach speeds of 40 miles (64 kilometers) an hour.

-Wolves howl to solidify pack bonds and warn other wolf packs to stay away—but despite popular belief, wolves don’t howl at the moon.

 

7
Wolves by Katherine Farraj - Ourboox.com

9
11
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content