from a talent night at a local club to Broadway:
– Barbra’s career has start at a local club, but soon her vibrant soprano won a loyal audience at local clubs.
– In 1962 Streisand made her major debut in the Broadway show, I Can Get it For You Wholesale. the cast album for that show was her first studio recording. Streisand signed with Columbia Records that same year and released her first album, The Barbra Streisand Album in 1963. It became a Top 10 gold record and received two Grammy Awards.
– Despite three successful albums by early 1964, Streisand chose Broadway performances over live concerts. She appeared in the show Funny Girl for more than two years, which earned her a Tony Award nomination. The song “People” from that show became Streisand’s first Top 10 single.
A Star is Born
– In the 1970s, Barbra Streisand successfully married her film and musical interests; first with the hit film The Way We Were, which featured her first No. 1 single and earned her a 1973 Academy Award nomination for Best Actress. In 1976 came A Star is Born, a film that Streisand produced.
– A Star Is Born has been remade four times, in 1951 (a television adaptation) with Kathleen Crowley and Conrad Nagel, in 1954 with Judy Garland and James Mason, in 1976 with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson, and in 2018 with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. Altogether, the four movies received 25 nominations for various Academy Awards, (1937, Best Writing (original story); 1976, Best Music (original song); 2018, Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (original song).
A star is born 1976 VS a star is born 2018:
The way we were…
“It’s easy to forgive the movie a lot because of Streisand. She’s fantastic. She’s the brightest, quickest female in movies today, inhabiting her characters with a fierce energy and yet able to be touchingly vulnerable
My favorite movie: “Yentl”
Though she read Isaac Bashevis Singer’s short story, “Yentl, The Yeshiva Boy” shortly after her first film in 1968, but it was only after 15 years of perseverance that Streisand was able to bring the story to screen.
in 1983 the film received 5 academy award.
The film yentl also produced a Top 10 soundtrack:
Barbra a powerful women
“Streisand may have been more responsible for empowering women in entertainment than any other figure”