quangtrungchem's ethanol factory
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

biofuel production at the plant

by

Artwork: QuangTrungChem

Chuyên sản xuất kinh doanh các loại cồn y tế, cồn thực phẩm, hóa chất công nghiệp, đạt chuẩn tiêu Read More
  • Joined May 2022
  • Published Books 2
quangtrungchem

QUANGTRUNGCHEM’S FACTORY

QuangTrungChem is an ethanol factory in Vietnam. We supply:

ALCOHOL ETHANOL (ETANOL / ETHYL ALCOHOL)

Ethanol alcohol is a product of fermentation. This product is usually produced from agricultural products or by-products such as cassava, maize, sugar, honey, seeds … Quang Trung Chem has 2 alcohol factories with a total output of 160,000 tons / year. five.

Factory working in Quang Nam

QuangTrungChem's ethanol factory in Quang Nam Province

QuangTrungChem’s ethanol factory in Quang Nam Province

– Output 100,000Mt / year. As the largest factory in Vietnam up to the present time.
The factory can produce quality according to platform and industry.
– Accept document type into diversity. Can be produced from corn, potatoes, …
– Efficient production process. Simultaneous production of feed / CO2 / other products …
– Reuse 100% of water and biogas

3

Factory AT Dong Nai

QuangTrungChem's ethanol factory in Dong Nai Province

QuangTrungChem’s ethanol factory in Dong Nai Province

Production output is 60,000 tons / year
Factories can produce a variety of qualities, from fuel to ENA. Find out about QuangTrungChem’s product portfolio here (ethanol 96)
– Accept fuel type into variety. Can be produced from corn, potatoes, …
– Efficient production process. Simultaneous production of feed / CO2 / other products …
– Reuse 100% of water and biogas
– Self-supply electricity

DDGS / DDGS

DDGS residue is a premium product created from the manufacturing process. DDGS is often used as feed for energy and animal husbandry.
– The factory can produce DDGS at normal level of Minimum 26% and Minimum 50%
The first and only DDGS factory in Vietnam
Total production capacity is 60,000 tons / year
The product does not contain Aflatoxin and Vomitoxin.
– Reuse 100% of water and biogas

CO2

CO2 has many commercial applications in the food, petroleum and chemical industries. The largest and most common uses of CO2 are for the production of carbonated beverages; CO2 creates gas for soft drinks such as soda, beer, soft drink … The total production capacity is 50,000Mt / year.

4

5-step process of producing ethanol from corn at the factory

ethanol produce in plant

ethanol produce in plant

 

The production of corn into ethanol is a multi-step process.
Corn after being harvested from the fields is crushed by two most common methods are dry milling or wet milling.

For wet treatment:

For wet milling, the corn kernels are broken down into starch, fiber, corn germ and protein by heating in a sulfur acid solution for 2 days.
The starch is separated and ethanol can be produced.
The wet milling process also produces additional products including animal feed, corn oil, gluten flour, and gluten-containing feed.

dry ethanol process

Dry grinding is a simpler process than wet milling, but it also produces less product. The main products of dry milling are ethanol, CO2 and dry distillate with solutes (DDGS).

Let’s learn each step of the dry grinding process. The five steps are:
1) crushing,
2) cooking and liquefaction,
3) saccharification,
4) fermentation
5) distillation.

Crush corn to form “corn bran” powder
For dry mashed corn, a hammer crusher or roller mill is used for crushing.

Crushing the corn will help break up the chewy outer layer of the corn kernels. This is necessary because it will increase the surface area of ​​the starch. Once the corn is ground into flour, it is mixed / mixed with hot water to form a powder or paste.
The gelatinization of starch in ethanol production
Once a paste has been formed, it is cooked and liquefied. The cooking phase is also known as gelatinization.
Water works best on corn starch when the temperature is> 60 ° C. And forms a liquid (the best mixture is determined to have a relatively viscous consistency).

For ease of imagination. Have you ever seen a banana baker fried with cake dough?
This starch liquefaction step is essentially partially hydrolyzed to reduce the viscosity. It is essentially the process of breaking down longer starch chains into smaller chains.
Recall that starch hydrolysis is where water reacts with starch sugars to break down sugars and form glucose.
Water breaks down into H + and OH- ions, which react with starch to break down the starch.
The process of liquefying the paste
In order to perform the liquefaction process, the reaction must take place under certain conditions.
The pH of the grinding mixture was maintained in the range 5.9 – 6.2
Ammonia (NH3) and sulfuric acid (H2SO4) are added to the mixture to maintain the pH.
Approximately one third of the amount of the enzyme: α-amylase, can be added to the “corn bran” mixture before cooking in a pressure cooker (2-7 minutes at 105-120 ° C) to improve the flow of the “bran”. “.
The pressure cooker cooking process also acts as a sterilization step to avoid bacterial contamination in the later fermentation.
At this stage, shorter dextrins are produced, but not yet glucose.

There are three ways to liquefy the “corn bran” mixture.
Option 1:
Add α-amylase; Incubated at 85-95ºC
Method 2:
Jet 105-120ºC in 2-7 minutes
Use a flash tank (type of tank that uses a rapid rise in temperature or a rapid decrease in pressure to separate liquid from gas) at 90ºC; add α-amylase for 3 hours
way 3:
Add α-amylase
Cook in a pressure cooker at 150ºC
Use a 90ºC flash tank; more α-amylase

The added Α-amylase enzyme acts on the inner bonding of α glycosidic to produce dextrin and maltose (glucose dimitator).
A type of α-amylase that exists in human saliva; another α-amylase is used by the pancreas.
Α-amylase acts slightly faster than β-amylase, and β-amylase acts on α-glycosidic bonds. The purpose is for a second maltose to be formed.
β-amylase is part of the fruit ripening process. Increases the sweetness of the fruit as it ripens.
The process of saccharification (gelatinization)
The next step in the ethanol production process is saccharification.
Glucose is the process by which starchy sugars are further hydrolyzed into glucose monomers. Another enzyme is used. Called glucose amylase (also longer known by its longer name amyloglucosidase). It splits both the α-glycosidic bonds and the glycosidic bonds from the dextrin to form glucose. The optimal conditions required for the process are a pH at 4-5 and a temperature of 55-65 ° C.
There are many types of enzyme amylase available that are derived from bacteria and fungi. Several more recently developed enzymes (granular starch hydrolysis enzymes – GSHE) allow to bypass the liquefaction phase by low temperature starch hydrolysis with cooking.
The advantages include:
1) heat / energy reduction,
2) reduce unit operating (reduce capital and operating costs),
3) emission reduction
4) Higher DDGS
But some disadvantages also exist, including:
1) higher enzyme cost and
2) risk of contamination.

Ferment
The final step to making ethanol from starch is fermentation.
The chemical reaction of fermentation is 1 mole of glucose to produce 2 moles of ethanol and 2 moles of carbon dioxide (CO2).
The response is shown in Equation 2 below:
C6H12O6 → 2C2H6OH + 2CO2
To make the fermentation process take place, yeast is added. One common yeast used is saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is a single-celled fungus. Reaction takes place at 30-32 ° C for 2-3 days.
Additional nitrogen is added as ammonium sulfate ((NH4) 2SO4) or urea. A hydrolyzed catalyst can be used to convert proteins into amino acids for addition as a yeast supplement.
Two antibiotics Virginiamycin and penicillin are often used to prevent harmful bacteria from growing. The generated carbon dioxide also lowers the pH, which can reduce the risk of bacteria growing.
90-95% of glucose will be converted to ethanol in this process.
It is possible to perform saccharification and fermentation in the same step. At the same time, both glucoamylase and yeast can be added together. However, it must be done at a lower temperature than the saccharification (32-35 ° C) to slow down the hydrolysis to glucose.

Distillate and increase Ethanol concentration

The final stage of ethanol production involves separating and increasing the concentration of ethanol. The concentration of ethanol in the solution at this time is only about 12-15% ethanol (meaning you have 85-88% water in your solution).
Distillation is a process for separating components using heat and towers are specially designed to keep liquid from flowing and steam is created to flow upwards.
Water boils at 100 ° C, while ethanol boils at 78 ° C. However, because water and ethanol evaporate at temperatures lower than their boiling point, and since both have the OH function group attracted to each other, the ethanol and water molecules are strongly bound together and form an azeotrope together. . This means that you cannot completely separate ethanol from water – the ethanol portion will contain about 5% water and 95% ethanol.

You don’t want water in gasoline while driving, as it prevents efficient combustion.

Column with reflux ethanol and condenser to collect water from the column
Figure 7.15: Distillation unit for increasing ethanol concentration.
Credit: Newcastle (link is external)
You must use an additional method to remove all the water from the ethanol. The substance used is called molecular sieves absorbent, and the substance used in it is called zeolite, a silicate mineral of aluminum.
The zeolite absorbs water into it, but the ethanol will not enter the zeolite. in other words with well-defined hole sizes. The zeolites attract both water and ethanol, but the pore size is too small to allow ethanol entry.
the pore size of the zeolite membrane is 0.30 nm, while that of the water molecule is 0.28 nm and that of the ethanol is 0.44 nm.
In fact, for every 22kg of corn you will generate 10.5 liters of ethanol alcohol, ~ 17 lbs of CO2, and ~ 17 lbs DDGS.
The economics of this process have been shared in the article: biofuel has enough capacity to replace E95 gasoline.

source for more reference:
How Corn is Processed to Make Ethanol in:

https://quangtrungchem.com.vn/nha-may-san-xuat-ethanol-tu-ngo.html

 

5
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content