Brainville: The Discovery of Lan by Silvia Marina Avila Gonzalez - Illustrated by Silvia Avila, Ixcel Rendón & Juan C. Morón - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Brainville: The Discovery of Lan

by

Artwork: Silvia Avila, Ixcel Rendón & Juan C. Morón

  • Joined Feb 2017
  • Published Books 2

Language production:
Even though there isn’t much research about language production, it can be divided in the following stages:

 

Conceptualization: in this stage, the need of speaking arises. The person has an idea or image that doesn’t have linguistic form yet.

 

Formulation: now, the brain starts looking for the correct words that will give linguistic form to the previous idea. And it stars putting the words into the correct order

 

Articulation: the speech organs are ready to produce speech sounds in order to express what we want to say.

 

Self-monitoring: this is a capacity that every human has to monitor or be aware of what he is saying not to make any mistake. The brain has this ability not because the person listens to him/herself, but because the brain knows that two incompatible responses where activated at the same time before the articulation stage.

 

2

Formulation

 

The act, process, or result of formulatingor reducing to a formula.

 

Clinical formulation: is a theoretically-based explanation of the information obtained from a clinical assessment. It offers a hypothesis about the cause and nature of the presenting problems and is considered an adjunct or alternative approach to the more categorical approach of psychiatric.

 

Pharmaceutical formulation: is the process in which different chemical substances, including the active drug, are combined to produce a final medicinal product. The word formulation is often used in a way that includes dosage form.

 

Pesticide formulation: The biological activity of a pesticide, be it chemical or biological in nature. It’s determined by its active ingredient.

 

Formulation (language production): giving a linguistic form (words) to the message or idea that is attemted to be communicated.

3

Once upon a time, there was a town called Brainville. It was a colorful town; its inhabitants worked hard every day. If one thing was sure is that this town was very productive; people divided their tasks into departments. There was the thought department which had to do with the decisions made in the town. This department was so important, that the other departments depended on it. There was also the talent department that had to do with the different talents that entertained the inhabitants, such as singing, painting, sport matches, and more. One of the most important ones was the subsistence department which had the job of hunting and working the fields, so this department was in charge of feeding everyone in the town. These were some of the large number of departments in the town.

4
Brainville: The Discovery of Lan by Silvia Marina Avila Gonzalez - Illustrated by Silvia Avila, Ixcel Rendón & Juan C. Morón - Ourboox.com

John Thoughtson was the director of the department of thoughts. He was a tall, and thick man, even though he wasn’t fat. His authoritative personality gave him an aspect of determination. And even though the town didn’t have a major or governor, it was John a kind of authority figure for people, since it was him the one who took the decisions in the town.

 

In Brainville didn’t exist the exchange of money for any service. Everyone was benefited with all the services because everyone worked. For this purpose, the main rule for the Brainvillians was that every inhabitant in the town had to do something, had to work on something. It was seen so idle that someone had all the benefits without working and without moving one finger to earn the daily bread. John was the first defender of that rule. He took the decisions cleverly; because of him every inhabitant lived with dignity and benefits. However, he was very strict with the working matter.

– If you live in Brainville, –he argued– you work in Brainville.

6
Brainville: The Discovery of Lan by Silvia Marina Avila Gonzalez - Illustrated by Silvia Avila, Ixcel Rendón & Juan C. Morón - Ourboox.com

Something very peculiar in this town was that people communicate each other through thoughts. People didn’t speak, they didn’t need to, they communicated through telepathic conversations. They were very coordinated, everyone had a task, and everyone executed the task. However, this community didn’t have contact with any other town or village.

 

Lan, one of the Brainvillians, was a young adult who lived alone. His tall and thin body and his youth gave him an unworried aspect. However, he had a way with words. His way of expressing himself was so clean and neat, in comparison with the inhabitants in the town. He loved reading, that was all he did day and night. Anyways, people believed he had very crazy ideas. But his main flaw was that he didn’t work. As everyone else, he had a house, he ate breakfast; lunch and dinner every day, he used to get entertained by the shows given by the talent department twice a week, and all those benefits a person could have in Brainville for free, the only thing was that he didn’t do anything to earn those things.

 

Lan wanted to create something new, a new production, a new department. He didn’t want to work in something that already existed, nor work for someone else. “It is repetitive and monotonous” he said every time he was asked.

—Why you ain’t do work with thoughts department, Lan? – some rural person would ask.

—Why don’t I work in the thought department? –he would answer arrogantly to correct the person, to later answer his own question using a stern voice– I will not work for John! I have got better ideas than him. I am more creative. I have so many proposals that he dismisses every single time I speak with him: ‘all so needless, Lan, all so needless. Get on work soon!’. I am so jaded of all that rubbish!”

 

8
Brainville: The Discovery of Lan by Silvia Marina Avila Gonzalez - Illustrated by Silvia Avila, Ixcel Rendón & Juan C. Morón - Ourboox.com

For anyone was a surprise that John and Lan didn’t get along. John hated Lan’s idleness, and Lan hated John’s lack of tolerance. Lan thought John was too inflexible and John thought Lan was so carefree and insane with all his projects. But, one thing was sure; John wanted Lan out of the town.

 

A shinny morning like any other, John convened the Brainvillians to treat issues of importance:

 

—I decree –he said– that the adults that don’t labor in this town are, from now on, expelled from Brainville. Those people will have 24 hours to leave the town.

 

Lan saw himself full of anger for being obliged to leave the only place he has lived in his whole life. He took the firs train the next day in the morning. He didn’t know where the train was heading for, but, to be honest, he didn’t care. Some hours of travel after, he arrived at a fancy place. On the billboard in front of him he saw: “Welcome to Mind City: Ideas are our base. Progress is our target”. Every modern aspect of that city took his breath away. The amazing buildings, the high-tech cars, the interesting and intellectual faces of the citizens.

10
Brainville: The Discovery of Lan by Silvia Marina Avila Gonzalez - Illustrated by Silvia Avila, Ixcel Rendón & Juan C. Morón - Ourboox.com
Brainville: The Discovery of Lan by Silvia Marina Avila Gonzalez - Illustrated by Silvia Avila, Ixcel Rendón & Juan C. Morón - Ourboox.com

Lan was slapped by the idea of having no money, no plan, no course. Then, he walked and walked, till he found a square, where he looked for a bench and sat there. Minutes after, an elegant beautiful lady sat next to him.

—Nice day for looking at trees.

—Umm… –he was nervous. It was the first time he was in such a subtly charming presence

—Miranda Broca –She stretched out her hand to Lan– what do you think about our city?

—How do you…

—… know you’re not from here? –she interrupted him– Don’t you get offended, but citizens in here seem to have a direction and a complete planned day. You seem to be lost.

—I understand. What a pity! And well, your locality is fascinating. Everything is so advanced. I own numberless ideas to enhace the town I come from, Brainville, but they do not regard innovation, so they expelled me from it.

—They miss it, I suppose. You’re gonna like it here…

—Lan. Just Lan.

—Well, just Lan, in Mind city we care about producing almost everything for our own. But at the same time, we import and export many things. So, we have it all. That’s why everything must be more advanced than in your town.

—Wow! So, you have connection with other places? –asked Lan– They do not do that in my town. Brainvillians are somewhat detached from the rest of the world.

13
Brainville: The Discovery of Lan by Silvia Marina Avila Gonzalez - Illustrated by Silvia Avila, Ixcel Rendón & Juan C. Morón - Ourboox.com

They were talking for hours about how Mind City had a system for communicating with other places to import and export products through all types of signals. However, their communication system failed many times. Lan explained her all the projects on his mind. She was amazed about his vision. She talked about the impact that communication with other societies had for Mind City. He seemed very interested on the matter, and asked Miranda to take him to the communication central to see how Mind City communicated with other places. Once they were there, she showed him how the departments were used, and he realized and told Miranda that those same departments were in Brainville, but they weren’t in use because people in the town didn’t know what they were for.

15

—Every single city, every single town or village has these departments –Miranda said– Every community in the world has the capacity of communicating with this system. Didn’t you know?

—No, I did not –he stated, discouraged–. But I was aware Brainville had so much higher potential than people thought.

—You must feel odd. But you seem to be smart, and I need your help. I don’t know why this system fails.

—Easy! –he answered– Signals travel noticeably slow. Communication with other places can be altered, the message may arrive delayed. And it sometimes might be misunderstood. Signals are not enough… Words! That is the right way.

—Words?

—Indeed! They are encoded as signals, but they are faster and clearer. Words may be part of a code that all places share.

—I haven’t heard of that before –she shared surprised.

—That is because people in a community do not precise words to communicate. With thoughts it is more than admissible. Everyone is coordinated in a community, everyone knows what to do. But it is different among communities. There is the need of a code to negotiate among towns and cities. That code are words.

—How did you come along with that?

—For years I believed words were to be used among inhabitants, but I see it now! Words are necessary among towns and cities.

—That’s amazing. It would be great if you accepted to work here as an assessor in…

—I would love to –he interrupted her–. But, I must arrange things at home.

—Are you leaving right now?  –she added in a sad tone.

—Definitely. But we will keep in contact. –he stated with a joker tone.

 

16

The night fell, and he took the first train in the station heading for Brainville. He spent the whole trip thinking on his many plans about improving the town, with the new things Miranda Broca taught him.

 

He arrived to Brainville in the morning, and went straight to the main square, and started giving his thought to people.

 

—I know you do not have any reliance in me. But I know how to make things better in Brainville –He declared.

 

From the crowd, John Thoughtson interrupted him as he made his way to Lan.

 

—You were vetoed from this town. What are you doing here? –and addressing the security body he stated: – take him out of my face!

—Wait! Listen to me just once in your life! Everything in Brainville is good. But it could be better. It could be excellent: our town is not connected to any other. Other places have marvelous things. They produce things you would not imagine; their knowledge is one of a kind. Our town has great things, but we need other towns, other cities.

—You have five minutes of my time. –stated John– After that you will leave and never come back.

—I promise you will not regret it –Lan pointed.

17
Brainville: The Discovery of Lan by Silvia Marina Avila Gonzalez - Illustrated by Silvia Avila, Ixcel Rendón & Juan C. Morón - Ourboox.com

Lan took John to the abandoned departments of communication. He explained John that every place had those departments and every town could communicate among each other to make treats and negotiate. He explained John how those departments worked. That they needed a code by using words to send the message. And that in one of the nearest cities the departments were already activated with a specific code that Brainville could also use.

 

—I call all that system “Language”. It derives from my name since I discovered the whole process.

—OK, Lan. So far it sounds good. But how could I know if this isn’t another crazy plan of yours?

—Let me remit a message to Mind City, and I will prove you. They have this system already activated.

 

19

The whole process consisted on stages. And the communication department was subdivided into sub-departments, each one was in charge of a stage. The first was a stage Lan called “conceptualization”. It consisted on deciding what is the message Brainville would send to other places. It had to be operated by an agent of the thought department. That agent would keep continuous contact with John to know what decision to make. All that John Thoughtson decided, was going right to the conceptualization office.

 

That thought was sent to the second sub-department called “formulation”. In this office, that thought or decision made in the previous office was going to be encoded. So, the one in charge had to select words according to the code both towns were using. To finally get to the last department, the department of articulation. In this department, the code was going to be sent to the other town. For this purpose, a big machine of articulation was used. Its distinct parts moved, and the circuits worked to send the message and travel through a cable in the air, and finally get to the receiver machine of the other town.

20

That is the way towns would communicate. But sometimes, things failed at the formulation office. So, the thought department had to send another agent who was also aware or the thing that was attempted to be said. This agent was in charge of monitoring if the message sent was correct. As the transition of the message from the formulation to the articulation was so fast, the monitor could not avoid mistakes before the message was sent, but as soon the message was sent through the articulator, the supervisor would check and correct the mistakes in the formulation office and send the message again if necessary.

 

 

21

Since the communication department was activated, Brainville was in contact with every town or city that was around. John made dozens of treats and dealings with the neighboring towns. Brainville didn’t become in an advanced city, but it had new fancy things Brainvillians didn’t know were necessary.  Everyone was happy with the things the town had to offer now.

 

Lan became in the director of the communication department. He was one of the most important figures of the town. He and Mr. John had a good work relationship. And soon Mr. John understood that Lan’s vision was very valuable. People in town started to feel appreciation for Lan.

 

Lan and Miranda became closer each time. Lan traveled every two days to meet with her in Mind City. They both had a special friendship which later became into marriage.

22
Brainville: The Discovery of Lan by Silvia Marina Avila Gonzalez - Illustrated by Silvia Avila, Ixcel Rendón & Juan C. Morón - Ourboox.com
Brainville: The Discovery of Lan by Silvia Marina Avila Gonzalez - Illustrated by Silvia Avila, Ixcel Rendón & Juan C. Morón - Ourboox.com

THE END

25
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content