Children’s Book Writing 101 – Catalogue by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Children’s Book Writing 101 – Catalogue

After fruitful careers as a scientist and inventor I've gone back to what I love most - writing children's books Read More
  • Joined Oct 2013
  • Published Books 1550

Here we are!

2

3

Here is the summary of our first class:

It was great meeting you yesterday. I enjoyed our first encounter and I hope you did as well.

We are all writers on a joint expedition to be the best writers that we can be.

We share feedback, not criticism.

 

4

In class we learned how to use Ourboox. We talked about a classic story follows a story arc with a hero (or heroine) who is challenged, sometimes because of a character flaw, and needs to overcome challenges. A good classic story is an adventure that makes us feel empathy towards the character, a good story has a surprising and satisfying ending.

We talked about the importance (particularly in picture books) of jumping straight into the plot in the first sentence or two.

I mentioned that in a good classic story, the author allows the reader to add up the 2+2.

 

 

5

How to use Ourboox in Hebrew:

6

How to use Ourboox in English:

 

7

8

And here is a book explaining how to use Powerpoint to combine art and text.

9

And a hack that can help too.

 

 

10
Children’s Book Writing 101 – Catalogue by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Ourboox.com

What is Julia Donaldson’s secret? What is yours?

Julia started out writing songs for the BBC. She entered children’s book writing from the ‘back door’. We each have professions and gifts that will let us shine in the children’s book field. We just have to learn to apply them.

 

 

12

We each created at least one story, gathering inspiration and ideas from 48CREATE.

13

14

English version:

 

15

Then we talked about being brief. How to get the reader interested, involved, excited, curious in the first sentence or two?

Let’s get some inspiration from Kafka’s Metamorphosis:

16

“When Gregor Samsa woke up one morning from unsettling dreams, he found himself changed in his bed into a monstrous vermin.”

More examples of opening sentences here.

17

19

Danny Kerman paid us a visit. He taught us a lot about the interaction between the illustrator and the story.

 

20

21

We went over the checklist book and concentrated on the character. How do we create a memorable character? What questions can we ask that will help us flesh out the personality of character, help us understand, empathise, etc.

 

 

 

22

23

 And a short summary of things to keep in mind….

24

25
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Skip to content