Coming up with Ideas for Children’s Books by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Coming up with Ideas for Children’s Books

After fruitful careers as a scientist and inventor I've gone back to what I love most - writing children's books Read More
  • Joined Oct 2013
  • Published Books 1550

A few years ago I began teaching an academic course at the Holon Institute of Technology on writing and illustrating children’s books, together with international illustrator Naama Benziman. I needed a way to encourage our students to invent their own original stories.

 

2
Coming up with Ideas for Children’s Books by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Ourboox.com

Then I thought of 48create, the method that Dr. Alon Amit and I developed a decade ago to help students (everyone, actually) come up with innovative, wacky ideas for start ups. Could it be used to generate great ideas for children’s stories as well?

4

5

In 48Create, you choose four objects out of a list of 48, and four ways to change them (again from a list of 48 ways to ‘change the world’). And you take one of the objects and change it using one of the four ways. Believe me, it works!

6
Coming up with Ideas for Children’s Books by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Ourboox.com

So how to tweak it for children’s stories? At the outset, Alon and I came up with two lists for the fledgling creative writing project: a list of things to write about, and a list of potential characters. Of course you can add ‘things’ to the list!

8
Coming up with Ideas for Children’s Books by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Ourboox.com

Here is the list of potential characters to write about. You can add your own characters too.

 

 

10
Coming up with Ideas for Children’s Books by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Ourboox.com

But something was missing. What would be the chief mood, feeling, theme? So we created a third set – this time of “states of mind”.

12
Coming up with Ideas for Children’s Books by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Ourboox.com

So here’s an example of how it works. You ask somebody (the students, a friend) to pick four possibilities from each list. Here is one of the lists chosen by my friend Michal Chill (an Ourboox author). Here is the list she sent. As you can see, she made up a few of her own (nothing wrong with that!).

 

14
  • Alien
  • Roundabout
  • Glasses
  • Shoes
  • Toothpaste filler
  • Flower perfumer
  • Sock matcher
  • Bluebird
  • Exasperation
  • Bitterness
  • Jealousy
  • Hunger

 

15

I began working with the students and presto, books started to pop up. It was so exciting that I decided to try it for myself. It works! I combined “shoes, toothpaste filler and exasperation” and wrote “Nick’s New Job“. In fact most of my recent children’s books owe their existence to this method! So take a few minutes and try it out. You’ll be surprised what you come up with!

 

 

16

17

Good luck in your journey to be the best children’s book writer that you can be!

 

18
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Skip to content