Coral Reefs by natalie momany - Illustrated by Natalie Momany - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Coral Reefs

by

Artwork: Natalie Momany

  • Joined Nov 2022
  • Published Books 1
Coral Reefs by natalie momany - Illustrated by Natalie Momany - Ourboox.com

Over 1 million species live in and depend upon coral reefs around the world. For these creatures, the reef provides essential food, shelter, etc. for the species’ survival. If their homes disappeared, marine biodiversity would suffer immensely. The coral reefs are dying due to climate change, declining water quality, overfishing, pollution and unsustainable coastal development. Nearly 95% of coral reefs in Southeast Asia are currently under threat. The Pacific and Australia have also lost the largest proportions of their coral reefs. But, the reefs are being destroyed all around the ocean. Fish, coral, lobsters, clams, seahorses, sponges, and sea turtles are only a few of the thousands of creatures that rely on reefs for their survival.  Over half a billion people depend on reefs for food, income, and protection. Besides zooxanthellae, algae and seagrasses are the main types of plants in the coral reef ecosystem. It kills the animals’ shelter and the animals that live and rely on the coral reefs will be gone so then the animals that eat those animals will not have enough food. The first mass global bleaching events were recorded in 1998 and 2010, which was when the El Niño caused the oceans temperatures to rise and worsened the coral’s living conditions. The 2014–2017 El Niño was recorded to be the longest and most damaging to the corals, which harmed over 70% of our coral reefs. 

3

A diver reels in a line near a bleached colony of Boulder Star Coral at East Flower Garden Bank.

4

Diving responsibly means don’t touch or disturb the coral and/or wildlife also when your diving don’t litter or put harmful chemicals into the ocean.  I think this is the most effective plan because when humans don’t litter or use harmful chemicals in the ocean they can keep the coral reefs clean and not destroy them. We would just need to spread the word more about not littering and safe diving. This really wouldn’t take that much money just being kind to the environment. The city can put up no littering signs and diving rules. This is important so we can continue to have clean oceans and save the coral reefs from destruction.

5

Coral reefs cover less than one percent of the ocean floor but support a quarter of all marine species

6

Cites

-Cho, Renee. “Losing Our Coral Reefs.” State of the Planet, 13 June 2011, news.climate.columbia.edu/2011/06/13/losing-our-coral-reefs/.

-US Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “The Importance of Coral Reefs – Corals: NOAA’s National Ocean Service Education.” Oceanservice.noaa.gov, 2021, oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_corals/coral07_importance.html.

-“Coral Reefs in Crisis.” Environmental Justice Foundation, ejfoundation.org/reports/coral-reefs-in-crisis.

“The World Counts.” Www.theworldcounts.com, www.theworldcounts.com/challenges/planet-earth/oceans/coral-reef-destruction.

7

Coral-bleaching-7web

8
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content