Daphne’s Cookbook May 2020 by Daphne Maloney - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Daphne’s Cookbook May 2020

  • Joined May 2020
  • Published Books 1

Introduction

 

These recipes are from my dad’s side of my family, even though my mother loves to cook and bake. The majority of recipes included are baked sweets, and a lot of them are from my great-great-grandmother. The recipes that aren’t from her are recipes I have actually made with my father, or he’s made them before. The newest recipe that me and my dad have developed recently is for pancakes. My dad’s side of my family is Italian, so there are a few recipes in this cookbook that are Italian. The recipes though that are from my dad include recipes for muffins, beignets, cinnamon rolls, pancakes, and chocolate chip cookies. The recipe that I feel is the most special to me is the chocolate chip cookies one, since we make it very often.

(By the way, all the recipes that are listed from pages 8-17 are from relatives and I haven’t personally made them, so they won’t have a description explaining why they’re special to me.)

2

Table of Contents:

 

Page #   Recipe name

1…………Introduction

2…………Table of Contents

3…………Muffins

4…………Beignets

5…………Cinnamon Rolls

6…………Pancakes

7…………Chocolate Chip Cookies

8…………Stamps

9…………Breakfast Coffee Cake

10……….Lucky Stars

11……….Knots

12……….Macaroons

13……….Popcorn Balls

14……….Chestnut Cake

15……….Italian Chocolate Cookies

16……….Rosettes

17……….Hot Cross Buns

3

Muffins

Serving amount: (Not included in recipe)

 

220g Flour

1 tsp Baking powder

1 tsp Baking soda

1/2 tsp Salt

1/2 tsp Cinnamon

1 Stick unsalted butter (room temperature)

2 Eggs

3/4 cup Brown sugar

1/2 cup Sour cream or yogurt

2 tsp Vanilla extract

1/4 cup Milk

 

(Increase flour and milk if the tray isn’t filled enough)

 

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F

Cream butter, add in the sugar, then add the rest of the wet ingredients. Then, mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Add any extra things to the muffins (Chocolate chips, blueberries, etc.). Next, pour the batter into the muffin tin and bake for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes passes, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 17 minutes.

 

This is probably the most recent recipe me and my dad have worked on-well, I didn’t actually help make the muffins, I just helped eat them and tell my dad what needed to be increased or lowered. One thing I like about the muffins we make is that they don’t use muffin liners, so none of the outside of the muffin is torn off by the liner. Instead, my dad will coat the muffin tin in sugar so the outside is sweeter.

4

Beignets

Serving amount: About 2 dozen

 

1 Envelope Active Dry Yeast

3/4 Cup Water (110 degrees F)

1/4 Cup Granulated sugar

1/2 Tsp Salt

1 Beaten Egg

1/2 Cup Evaporated Milk

3 1/2 – 3 3/4 Cups AP Flour

1/8 Cup Shortening

Vegetable Oil for frying

Powdered Sugar in a shaker or sifter

 

Combine the yeast, water, and sugar in the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (You could also make this in a food processor, or the old fashioned way by hand). Let this sit until frothy, about 5 minutes, then add the salt, egg, and evaporated milk. Mix on low speed, then add half of the flour until it starts to come together, then add the shortening. When the shortening is incorporated start adding the remaining flour, a little at a time until most of it is incorporated. At this time I always turn the dough onto a floured bench to finish by hand, just like when I make bread; it’s a touch thing. Knead the dough adding just enough flour as necessary to make a non-sticky, smooth dough. Place the dough into a large oiled bowl, loosely cover and let rise (I made mine last night and let it rise overnight in the refrigerator).

After the dough has doubled in bulk, punch it down and turn it onto a floured surface and roll out into a rectangle that is about 1/2″ thick. With a very sharp knife working at a diagonal to the rectangle, cut into 2″ wide strips. Now cut into diamond shapes by making diagonal cuts in the opposite direction. Place the Beignets on a floured baking sheet to let rise about 40 minutes in a warm place (I place them in a barely warm oven).

When the Beignets have risen, heat 2-3 inched of vegetable oil in a large saucepan to 350-360 degrees. Place 2-3 Beignets into the hot oil at a time, being careful not to smash or deflate them. When they are golden brown, flip them over until golden brown on the other side (They go pretty quickly so start checking them right after they go into the oil). Remove to paper towel lined plates to drain. Serve hot topped with plenty of powdered sugar (because the dough doesn’t contain much sugar, you will want a lot!). Best served with Cafe au Lait. Enjoy!

 

This recipe is actually written by a company and not my relatives. I don’t have many memories of making beignets or eating them, but my parents tell me that my dad made them for one of my sister’s birthday parties, and that I wouldn’t eat the beignets, I would just lick off the powdered sugar and ask for more, so my parents would just dust the same beignets again. I’ve wanted to try beignets again, especially ever since I rewatched The Princess and the Frog on Disney+, but the process takes a while and not only am I impatient, but I also get bored easily, and would probably leave a lot of the work for my dad to do.

5

Cinnamon Rolls

Serving Amount: (Not included in recipe)

Dough

2 1/4 tsp yeast

1 cup milk @105 degrees F (microwave 45 secs)

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/3 cup butter, softened

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

4 cups AP flour

 

Filling (Increase all by 20-25%

1 cup brown sugar

3 tbsp cinnamon

1/3 cup butter, softened

 

Cream Cheese icing

8 tbsp butter, softened

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1/4 cup cream cheese, room temp. (Cut in half)

1/2 tsp vanilla

pinch of salt

 

(The instructions aren’t included in the recipe.)

Cook for 25 mins at 350 degrees F.

 

My memory is a little foggy, but I think that the first time I tried one of my dad’s cinnamon rolls is when I got back from going to the mall with my friend, and my dad had stopped by and dropped off cinnamon rolls for me. I remember the dough was amazing, but there was a little too much cinnamon filling for my taste, since I’m not a huge fan of frosting and fillings. I also remember around the same time my dad made cinnamon rolls, he was working on building my drawers for my clothes, since he had recently moved into his own house so me and my sister were only using the two small drawers in our closets for a lot of our clothes. Anyways, the reason I brought that up is because now whenever I use the drawers, it reminds me of cinnamon rolls.

6

Pancakes

Serving Amount: (Recipe doesn’t include it, but from experience, it’s around 7 pancakes.)

 

2 eggs

4 tbsp sugar

2 tbsp melted butter

2 cups milk

1 tsp vanilla

300 grams AP flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

 

Combine wet + dry ingredients. Let sit for 2 minutes, and add more milk if needed.

1/3 cup of batter on pan at a time

Temperature is #3 on stove dial

If not sweet enough, add extra sugar.

 

This recipe was also recently made by me and my dad, and this time I actually helped. I used to really love waffles, but now I like pancakes more, even if they’re the same thing in different shapes (I swear they taste different!!). I really like to flip pancakes, even though I’m not very good at it sometimes. I like pancakes that are completely homemade the best, but I’m also okay with having pancakes made with powder. My mom uses the powder kind, but adds vanilla extract and a little bit of lemon juice so it tastes better.

7

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Serving Amount: (not included in recipe and I am unsure because my sister tends to eat some of the cookie dough when we make it.)

 

300 grams AP flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

12 tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) butter melted

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1 egg

1 egg yolk

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/2  chocolate chips

 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F

Combine the wet ingredients and combine the dry ingredients (not including the chocolate chips). Then, combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Next, add the chocolate chips. Dish about 1/4 cup of dough at a time onto parchment paper lined sheets. Bake for 16 minutes, and rotate the tray when the cookies are halfway done baking.

 

This is the recipe that is most special to me, my parents have been making cookies using this recipe for a really long time. Like I wrote earlier, my sister always eats some of the cookie dough, in fact sometimes my parents will make it entirely for her to eat the dough! I like the cookies better baked though. One thing I dislike about these cookies though is that they always have too many chocolate chips, and I’m not that big of a fan of chocolate, I like it but not that much.

8

Stamps

 

2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour

2 eggs

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons warm water

 

Sift the flour onto a pastry board, make a well in its center, break the eggs into the well, then add the olive oil, salt, and half of the water. Using your hands, blend well, gathering together and kneading until the dough can be formed into a ball. If the flour doesn’t seem to mix well or hold together as it is kneaded, add a little more warm water, slowly, Or, if the dough is too soft, add a small amount of flour. Turn the pastry board over (or scrape the working surface clean), flour it lightly and knead the dough well. It should take about 15 minutes to obtain a smooth, elastic dough. Form into a ball, cover on a clean, lightly floured pastry board and roll it out into as thin a sheet as possible. This takes some doing. Use a long, heavy rolling pin-and patience. The dough should be paper thing, or failing that, waxed-paper thin. Using a serrated roller, cut into the size of stamps. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place stamps into water and cook until al dente. Serve with homemade tomato sauce.

9

Breakfast Coffee Cake

 

2 1/2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup shortening

1 1/2 cups brown sugar (not packed)

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 well-beaten egg

3/4 cup milk

 

Sift flour, salt and baking powder. Add sugar. Cut in shortening. Take about 3/4 cup mixture and add cinnamon. Put aside for the topping on the cake. To remainder left in the bowl, add egg and milk. Beat well. Put in greased pan and cover with the topping. Bake at 350-degrees for 30 minutes or until cake tests clean.

10

Lucky Stars

 

2 2/3 cups Pillsbury flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 stick oleo (margarine)

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon almond extract

2 unbeaten eggs

dash salt

 

Filling

 

1 lb. dates cut up

1/2 lb. raisins cut up

1 1/2 cups nuts cut up

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

Simmer all ingredients and let cool.

 

Sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside. Cream oleo with sugar. Blend in vanilla and almond extracts. Add eggs and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients mixing thoroughly. Roll out on floured board to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a star-shaped cookie cutter. Place a teaspoon of filling in center of each star. Bring points together allowing filling to show. Place on ungreased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until done. Makes about 80 cookies.

11

Knots

 

2 whole eggs

2 egg yolks

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1 tablespoon melted butter

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 3/4 cups flour or more

 

Beat eggs. Add sugar and butter. Mix well. Add baking powder and flour. Knead lightly on board. Shape as desired. Fry at 375 degrees until lightly brown and crisp.

12

Macaroons

 

1 lb. almond paste

2 cups sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons flour

2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar

2/3 cup egg whites, unbeaten

 

Soften paste with hands. Work in sugar, salt, flour, confectioners’ sugar and egg whites. Use ungreased parchment paper on cookie sheet. Bake at 325-degrees until delicately browned about 18-20 minutes. Let cool. Remove cookies from paper. Makes 5 dozen.

13

Popcorn Balls

 

1/4 cup molasses

1/2 cup water

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

14 cups popcorn (popped)

1 teaspoon vinegar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon oleo (margarine)

 

Mix molasses, water, sugar and salt and cook until mixture spins a thread. Add vinegar, vanilla and oleo. Pour mixture over popcorn. Stir until coated. Wet hands in a little cold water to shape easier into balls. Makes about 30 balls.

14

Chestnut Cake

 

2 lbs. chestnuts

1 dozen eggs

1 orange

3 chocolate bars

1 cup sugar

5 cups flour

2 tablespoons lard

2 teaspoons baking powder

salt

water

oil

powdered sugar

 

Skin and boil chestnuts until tender. Pass through sieve. Add 10 beaten egg whites, 6 egg yolks, orange juice and rind, cinnamon, sugar and melted. Cut into 3-inch rectangles. Put a spoonful of the filling in each rectangle and fold as you would a calzone. Make sure each pastry is sealed. Fry in hot oil. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

15

Italian Chocolate Cookies

 

2 lbs. oleo (margarine), softened

3/4 cup sugar

2 glasses of jellies (dark)

3 teaspoons of vanilla

1/2 lb. nutmeats

1/4 lb. cocoa

2 cups coffee

6 teaspoons baking powder

flour- use your judgement- about 4 1/2 lbs

 

Mix oleo and sugar. Add jelly and vanilla; then coffee. Add rest of ingredients. Dough must not be sticky. Add more flour if needed. Grease pans. Roll into 1-inch balls. Bake at 350 degrees on lower rack in oven for 7 minutes and then for 7 minutes on upper rack in the oven.

16

Rosettes

 

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cup flour

oil

powdered sugar

 

Beat eggs slightly with salt. Add milk and flour. Beat until smooth. Dip rosette iron into batter and place in hot oil (365-degrees) until crisp. Serve with powdered sugar.

17

Hot Cross Buns

 

4 cups unsifted flour

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon allspice

2 packages active dry yeast

1 cup milk

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or oleo (margarine)

2 eggs at room temperature

1/2 cup currants

Confectioners’ sugar frosting

 

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix 1 1/4 cups flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, allspice and undissolved yeast. In a small saucepan over low heat, heat milk and butter until warm. Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour or enough flour to make a thick batter. Beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in raisins and currants and enough additional flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Place in greased bowl. Turn to greased side up. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in size-about 45 minutes. Punch down dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board. Divide dough into 18 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place balls into 2 well greased 1-inch round cake pans. Cover and let rise as before until doubled in size-about 30 minutes. With a sharp knife, cut across on top of each bun. Brush tops with milk. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Turn out while buns are still warm;make crosses with confectioners’ sugar on top.

18
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content