Eftychis and Joy
By The odd one ... IN!
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Eftychis and Joy

The odd one … IN! is a two year project co - funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Read More
  • Joined May 2018
  • Published Books 4
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

Once upon a time there lived a small fish, called Eftychis. He had been living at the bottom of the sea but he had always wanted to go up and see what’s on the sea surface.He was eager to meet what was above..He certainly loved living underwater but he had a vivid dream of seeing the blue sky, the silver moon, the little stars and the birds flying free.
However whenever he made a try to go up he would always reach a certain point and then stopped disappointed, daring not to go farther. But this desire took root in his heart!

3
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

One day he made the great decision to travel up to the surface of the sea. On his way up he met seahorses, colourful fishes, sea urchins lying on the reefs , striped shells….
He met a starfish , too who asked him full of curiosity…
__ Hey kid…where are you going?
__ I want to go up and see new things…Eftychis answered.
__ Don’t!….stay here where you are safe! You will put yourself at risk. Don’t do that!
Eftychis could not listen to her.
__I am always seeing the same things everywhere….He muttered
He kept on swimming and suddenly he saw a bright light…quite scary for a moment but he did not hesitate, closed his eyes and….without even realising it ..he was up up on the surface! He did it!

5
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

CHAPTER TWO : MEETING JOY

 

The day Eftychis came up on the sea, a snow white  seagull was flying above the sea. Joy, this was his name, had been hungry for some days wandering around the place to spot something to eat…….. In vain…. Really exhausted though, he couldn’t give up.

As of a sudden he saw a small head floating …” I think this is my lucky day” he thought.

To make it  sure that he was seeing well, he started flying lower to see better. A group of grey fins were approaching the little fish.

__” Now that I’ve been lucky for once , sharks are here to steal my prey” he thought. “ but one against five…what can I do?” so he decided to give up.

At that moment he noticed that the little fish was shaking with fear.Watching the sharks approach Joy wondered.

__” So heartless….five beasts against a poor little fish!I have to do something to occupy them.

Joy had to distract them He started flying over them, turning around , going up and down , touching the sea with his wings, shaking the waters and then up again.The sharks were trying to catch him but Joy managed to escape.He almost enjoyed playing this game!

7
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

__”You will never catch me” he shouted loudly.

The sharks got tired chasing Joy and the oldest one remarked:

__” Our prey has gone!”

They all swam away slowly and Joy the seagull stayed behind alone on the sea wondering about the luck of the fish.

Eftychis, the fish, timidly took his head out of water, Joy asked him surprised!

__ “ How are you, buddy?”

__Thank you very much, you are so kind! You really saved my life” Joy replied.

__”What’s your name?”

__”I’m Eftychis..and you?”

__”I’m Joy.Don’t you know little silly that the surface of the sea has a lot of dangers? Go straight to your mum! What are you doing here?”

__”Listen my friend, I have always wanted to see the land the trees the sky the city, that’s why I have come here.Could you tell me about what you are lucky to see every day?

__ “Hm…the place where I live is unique! The air is so refreshing …it makes you fly free and happy! It is so wonderful up there!”….

9
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

Eftychis asked Joy : “ How about taking me with you and show me everything you are describing to me?”

__ “You must be crazy! , shouted Joy…”Fish don’t fly, their natural habitat is the sea! this is where you belong! Now get out of here, I want to leave, too!”

__”But why? Eftychis asked. I have always dreamt of doing this trip one day… it makes me happy even thinking of it!”

Joy seemed thoughtful for a moment and he finally said:

__“It is really hard to take you with me! Only if….I try and find some transport to take you and fly up in the sky….early in the morning, wait for me here! Now, get back “home”! see you!”

Joy opened his wings wide and flew away.

At night the little fish was impossible to fall asleep..waited and waited anxiously until dawn.With the first light of the day he swam as fast as he could to reach the point he had the appointment with his new friend. When he came he saw the seagull flying with a shiny thing in his beak.

__”What’s this? he asked

__” It’s a fishbowl”…and he dipped  it in the sea…”quickly jump in!”

Eftychis didn’t want to hear it twice…he slipped in the bowl. Joy grasped the bowl with his beak and they both flew away together.

They had been flying for hours so Eftychis had the impression that  the sea was now a blue carpet.

__”How beautiful! “ the little fish exclaimed…” everything looks so different!”

This would absolutely be an unforgettable experience…he knew it!

 

11
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

CHAPTER THREE: A NEW LIFE FOR EFTYCHIS

 

After long hours of flying Joy arrived at  his nest, almost exhausted. It was already night and time to get to sleep.The seagull fell asleep at once but it wasn’t so easy for the little fish.He was gazing at the moon, the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.So sweetly he fell asleep after making a wish: He wished to stay there forever!

When the sun started to rise Joy said to his new friend:

__” It’s high time I looked for food, I have to go now”. He left Eftychis alone in the bowl on a tree branch. The seagull was out for lots of hours…endless time it seemed to Eftychis.He felt really sad and mostly alone! He would rather be with Joy, for sure..

When Joy came back, the little fish welcomed him very happily.They returned at the nest together, but a surprise was expecting for them. Two new seagulls were in front of them.

__”Well, well…what’s this tiny ..thing? one of them asked.

__”He’s my new friend, Eftychis and don’t call him a thing” Joy answered.

__”Where did you find him?”

__” In the sea”

__” But he’s a fish, the best snack for us….let’s give him a bite…” the second seagull reacted.

13
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

__” He’s my best friend and you will not touch him…I don’t care what you are saying.This is it! “ Joy started shouting at them.

__” Ok. Do as you wish! Anyway he’s not worth even to eat him …so little!!

But how comes that? you two friends? A seagull and a fish? No way!

They then left the place disappointed.

At that same night the two new friends went to bed…but Eftychis could not take the other seagulls’ words out of his mind. Different thoughts did not let him sleep….and above all he had already started being nostalgic for his family. They must have been worried about him.This is the time when he made a decision …he would talk to his friend first thing in the morning.

In the morning as soon as they woke up the fish told the seagull:

__” My dearest friend, we have had a great time together. We travelled all around, we saw so   beautiful places and I would be eager to see and do even more with you

but I think I have to back to the bottom of the sea where I belong.I have missed my family and old friends.

Joy got surprised.

__”Why do you want to leave? Don’t you like it here? he asked.

__” Not at all! I’m just afraid that my parents must be worried about me!I have never been alone for so long”

15
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

__” I see but what about me? Am I going to be alone? “ asked Joy anxiously.

__” I’ve got an idea! How about coming with me to the bottom of the sea?

__” Yes, but what way?”

Joy started working on a solution..

__” I’ve got an idea! I’ll make a wooden cage.”

__” Great idea my friend! Eftychis said.”

Joy started making the cage straight away. By the evening his strange cage would be ready!

17
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

CHAPTER FOUR: A NEW LIFE BEGINS FOR JOY

 

By the the time the sun rose the two friends had already been up. Eftychis asked Joy anxiously:

__” Are you going to stand the travelling in the sea?

__” Do you think I haven’t been prepared? Close your eyes?

Joy got dressed quickly and….

__”what are all these?

__” LOok !  Α scuba tank and a mask. All the equipment , here!

__” Perfect! Are you ready?asked the little fish.

__”Ready to go!”

Joy jumped into the cage and together they dived into the sea.The deeper they dived  the more terrified he became.He was so afraid that he closed his eyes, too.

__” Don’t be afraid! we’re almost here…Eftychis sounded calming.

After a little, a bright light spread all over the place and Joy couldn’t do anything but open his eyes, astonished by the beauty.

19
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

So many sea creatures! Playful Octopuses which were swaying their tentacles, clown fish, corals and many more!

Suddenly a big fish appeared close to them.

__ “My little boy! the big fish exclaimed…I’ve been looking for you all over the sea…

__ “Daddy! shouted Eftychis and sank in his hug!”

__ “I missed you so much! where have you been so long?”

__ “I was above…in the outer place..with my friend Joy!”

__ “Oh my gosh! what’s this bird? A present from the Bahamas?”

__ “It’s Joy…”

__ “OK ! let’s go home,to your mummy…she’s anxious about you…we have a lot to discuss! ”

As the strange company were were diving into the sea deeper and deeper Joy felt embarrassed with all those curious fish…some were just looking at him intrigued ..some others even with hatred and mockery. Some even murmured : “what’s our enemy doing down here?” Joy tried hard to give no notice. He couldn’t stop admiring the scenery. He felt so happy and blessed that he was together with his new friend.

When they arrived at Eftychis’s house, the two friends narrated their adventure and their new friendship to his parents. They expressed their happiness for having their son back and despite what Eftychis had been expecting, they urged him to keep him company. They didn’t seem to care about what others thought about this strange friendship.

21
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

Time went by happily. Eftychis and Joy enjoyed every moment as if it were the last to live together.
One morning Joy woke up in melancholy.
__ “What’s up?” Eftychis asked.
__ “ I just had a dream last night…”
__ “ What kind of dream?”
__ “ Well, I saw that I was flying over the white sails of a boat and I recalled my home!..Eftychis ..I need to talk to you…. I mean it’s not that I’m not having fun here with you…but I really miss my nest, my friends and my old life so much! After all I’m fed up with all these seaweeds that we are eating…Yuk!”

23
Eftychis and Joy by The odd one ... IN! - Ourboox.com

CHAPTER FIVE: MEET ME AT THE SURFACE

 

It was not later than a day after Joy expressed his sadness when  Eftychis made the decision to talk to him.

__“ Look, friend! I see how you feel and I really sympathise with you. ,I can do nothing but respect your wish. Have you made up your mind? Are you leaving us?”

__ “ Ye, I have to go back.”

__ “ What a pity!” exclaimed the little fish.

__ “ Oh, no…you can’t be feeling sad! Guess what! I have a suggestion to make….I’m sure you will be thrilled!”

__ “ I’m all ears! “

__ “How about fixing a meeting date once in a year ? On the surface of the sea, at the same point we first met? We’ll have the time to see each other and exchange our news…This way none  of us will miss the other.What do you think of it?

__ “It’s a deal! give me five! Eftychis cried happily, and added: don’t forget you are the best friend I have ever had.” and wiped his tears ..

The seagull and the fish gave the biggest hug  but they promised this would not be the last time they had met..

“REmember! I will be waiting for you next year, on the same time, at the same place…Remember me!!

The two strange friends kissed goodbye with this promise …next year….

 

                                                        THE END

25
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Skip to content