Goodbye for the last time by Ava S - Illustrated by Ava S - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Goodbye for the last time

by

Artwork: Ava S

  • Joined Jan 2016
  • Published Books 2

It has always been me and my mother in the big city of New York. We lived near the Brooklyn Bridge on the East River. It was a normal day going to school… “Come on Luna we are going to be late,” said my mother running up the stairs to my bedroom. It was September 11, 2001. I was 10 at the time and in fifth grade. My mother worked at the Twin Towers which was quite a drive from our house.

My school was on the way to the Twin Towers and it was easy for my mom to drop me off on the way to work. “You can park right there,” I said as my mom pulled into the parking lot at my school. My friend Julia was sitting on the curb of the playground waiting for me. 

2

“There is Julia. Hope you two have a great day. Tell Mrs.Hobin I sent lunch money with you,” said my  mom. I watched her car pull out of the school parking lot. I waved to her as she drove off, and I saw her wave back. CHAPTER 1

 

3
Goodbye for the last time by Ava S - Illustrated by Ava S - Ourboox.com

As I walked to the playground I noticed a chill in the air. The sun was shining as bright as a lantern. It was a sunny fall day and the beginning of the school year. I think it was the third or fourth day of school. I stopped by Julia.

“Hi, how is your new kitten doing?,” I said nicely. “Oh, Bonbon… he’s still sick. I don’t know how long he is going to last,” “I’m sorry for you. I know you had hope for that cat,” I said calmly. “Ya, like actually living long  enough to make a difference. We have had really bad luck with cats. You wouldn’t know what it feels like to lose someone you love. Your mom is up and her health is great,” Julia said sadly.

5

“I think you are leaving out my dad,” I questioned Julia.

        “Sure, but that was so long ago. You were like…what, three?”

“Yes but it still put a difference in my family. How do you not think that is important?” I said madly.

“I think-”

“What? That you are much more important than me? A cat does not make as much-”

“I didn’t mean-”

“I have a news flash for you Julia, every death matters and no pain of a death ever goes away. Your cats’ deaths have no less meaning than my dad and certainly not more. You have made it all about yourself these past few years and I have put up with it, but not anymore. Goodbye,Julia.”

But-,” Julia said with her eyes full of tears.

“GOODBYE,” I said sternly.      

 

6

  CHAPTER 2

As the bell rung for us to go inside I looked back at Julia. She was shocked and had tears rolling down her face. I didn’t care. I had no heart for her right then. As I walked inside, a plane too close to the ground flew above us. It was headed to the Twin Towers. Thoughts swirled through my head. My mom is in there. Will she be okay? That plane was too close to the sky scrapers. I ran inside as my whole class was watching the T.V.

“LUNA! You’re here. Oh we were so worried.”

What’s going on?” I said madly. I looked over at the T.V. as the plane crashed into the North Tower where my mother works. Black crowded the sides of my vision. I faintly heard my teacher call my name, but I didn’t care. I couldn’t move. I felt the world was flashing in front of me. My mother calling to me but I couldn’t make it to her. I was so lost I couldn’t move.

7

I darted out of the building as fast as I could, passing classrooms, hallways, and doors until I was outside. I ran past the playground and past Julia who was drying her tears. I ran down the street and down the block until I reached the Twin Towers.

CHAPTER 3

Smoke and debris fell as a second plane hit the South Tower. I looked at my watch. It was 9:03 AM. There were news reporters all around. People were scared and crying at the everlasting scene. I looked up at the North Tower as my phone went off. A faint voice was on the other end.

“MOTHER?” I yelled into the phone. “Luna I’m calling to say I love you and I don’t think I will make it. I’m On the 100th floor and my only way is

8

to jump out the window.”  As I heard those words tears rolled down my cheeks at the vision of my mother falling to a hard cold death. “Mom you stay there. DO NOT JUMP OUT OF THE WINDOW!” “Okay.” She paused for a second “I don’t have a good chance of living,” she said sadly. BEEP

“I love you.” BEEP BEEP. She had already hung up before I could say how I felt. But why would she do that? As I looked up what I saw was a never ending picture that would never leave my head. People many stories high decided the jumping out of the window was their only chance. And they took it.

CHAPTER  4

What was safe was now not. Smoke and falling debris fell everywhere and people were not yet safe. As I looked up the fires were growing higher and my mother could be gone. With little hope left I ran out

9

of the way of jumping people and falling debris. “This may be my mother’s final chance to live.”

“That may be true, but she has faith and and never gives up.” I spun around to see who was behind me. A girl with long dark black hair in a braid to the side stared at me. She had a faint look in her eye, but it still showed  much understanding and heart. She wore a plain smile that meant so much more in person. She gave me strength to continue on.

“What is your name?” I asked, scared of what she could do. As I turned my head to the burning buildings. She called back my attention. “My name is Nena, but you can call me whatever you like. What is your name?” Her voice sounded high and distant. She looked American, but had a British

10

accent in her voice. She looked at me sadly as if looking at what I have  been through; seeing right through me with her extraordinary eyes.

 

CHAPTER 5

“My name is Luna.” She looked at me, almost sending me a telepathic signal telling me to tell her more. “My father died many years

11
Goodbye for the last time by Ava S - Illustrated by Ava S - Ourboox.com

ago and my mother is in the Twin Towers right now.” I turned around to look at the Twin Towers right as the South Tower fell. At that moment it all became real to me. My mother didn’t have much time until the North Tower

13

fell. I started to panic and I ran as fast as I could to overrun the smoke. Nena and I ran over streets and blocks, watching people get buried in smoke. As I looked back,the sky didn’t look as bright, shiny, and happy anymore. It looked dark, sad, and no longer a like bright fall day. Police ran back and forth doing all they could to save many people. I sat down realizing Nena wasn’t with me. “NENA?” I said, yelling. “Well you care.” Nena said.

14

“Well you sure have a way of sneaking up on people,” I said.

“Sorry. I’m sorry about your dad and your mom. Sad life you have there. Although I’m stating the already known.” She said sorrowfully.

“I don’t think my sorrow is over.”

 

CHAPTER 6

 

15

9:59 AM SOUTH TOWER FALLS. I sank to my knees with tears clouding my vision. I couldn’t think, breathe, or move. I felt Nena’s hand on my arm. “WE HAVE TO RUN BEFORE THE SMOKE REACHES US!” she yelled over the noise of the police. But I couldn’t move. I didn’t care if the smoke got to me. I would be where my mother was. But, a side of me wanted to live. A side of me wanted to stay because I could live for my mother. Just as the smoke reached us Nena reached out for my arm and grabbed me. She pulled me up and made me start running. Reality hit me

16

just as a block of debris did. It knocked me to the ground, head first as I hit the ground, already unconscious. I faintly heard Nena say “NO!”

 

CHAPTER 7

17

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! went the hospital monitors as I woke up with a jolt. “What? Where am I? Was this all a dream?” I said.  But sadly in my heart I knew it wasn’t. Nena ran into the room overjoyed at the luck.

“Omg girl you, really gave me a fright,” she said sort of madly.

“Is it true? Please don’t say it’s all true,” I said, knowing the answer.

“ I’m so sorry. It’s true.” she said quietly if thinking it would make me less sad. Tears came again as I got up.

“Uh, Luna.. I don’t think-”

18

I got up and yanked the cords attached to me off the wall. I didn’t care if I didn’t have enough blood. I just wanted to get up.

“Wow you really don’t care do you?”, Nena said

I glared at her, knowing she knew the answer.

19

“Nope,” I said nodding my head

I grabbed my clothes from across the room and ran to the bathroom to get out of the stupid hospital clothes

“GIRL, COME BACK HERE”, all the people called after me as I ran out of the hospital. Nena followed me with a drama wanting look in her eyes. I stopped suddenly as Nena ran into me from behind.

“OHHF”, she said looking dizzy.

20

Police everywhere searching through piles and piles of rubble.

“I need to go home”, I said

“Well i’m sorry that won’t be in order”, said a policeman from behind me.”We won’t let anybody cross this sight.It’s too risky “

“Look a bird,” I said pointing. I knew he was dumb, so I knew he would fall for it. I ran past him and climbed over the fence. Nena was stumbling to catch up to me.

21

“Where?,” I heard the policeman say in the distance. We ran  along way ‘till getting to my house.

CHAPTER 8

 

People crowded around my house.

“What is going on? Why are these people around my house?,”

“ Well it isn’t yours anymore,” Said a man from behind me.

 

 

22

“What is with people behind me today,” I said “Wait, what do you mean?,”
“ I mean this house does not belong to anyone at the moment. Are you Luna Vanroe?,” The man said realizing what had happened.

“ How did you get over here? You are-”, The man said as I interrupted him.

“ Don’t worry about that…” I said and paused “I am Luna and would like to know why this is no longer my house,” I said straight out mad at my luck

“Since your mom is dead as well as your dad, according to law there is no

23

one to pay for this land. Therefore when you come of age, which is 18, you will once again own this house,”The man said pulling out a contract. He showed me the contract with my mother and father’s signature.

“ If you can afford it that is.”

“ Where will I live in the meantime?,” I said with a little squeaky tone in my voice.

“ Well since you are an orphan you will live in the orphanage until you are adopted or become of age. Again that age is-”

“I KNOW THE AGE,” I yelled madly I realized Nena was still behind me.

“ Will she still go to school and stuff,”

“ I’m sorry but she will be moved across the state to a bigger and better orphanage,”

24

“ WHAT?” , I said my expression changing

“ I will not move out of this state until I can do it on my own,” I said sternly  grabbing Nenas arm and jogging dragging her behind me.” WELL YOU WILL HAVE TO BE THE AGE,” He said in the distance.

“ Well I have to be home soon. My parents will be worried. Don’t you have to get back to your parents too. OMG I forgot I’m really sorry.”, Nena said

25

I could tell she was sorry but I still was mad. Tears welled up in my eyes  as I darted into the dark night.

 

CHAPTER   9

I didn’t know where I was, but it didn’t matter any more there was nothing to look forward to. Everything was downhill from here. I picked up the newspaper from off the ground and what I saw made me cry

26

I didn’t know where I was, but it didn’t matter any more there was nothing to look forward to. Everything was downhill from here. I picked up the newspaper from off the ground and what I saw made me cry. NATURAL DISASTER WE CALL IT THE 911 MANY LOST. There was a list of all of the dead people. My mother wasn’t on it. I looked around and realized my mother survived. I got up and ran the direction I came from I thought I could get home.

“ It took you this long to figure it out didn’t you.” I spun around to see Julia behind me.

27

“ What are you doing here.”

“ After that whole disaster I saw you on T.V. and saw you talking with some girl. You ran down here and I followed you here.”, She said looking like she was about to apologize

“ Well I am much happier with a friend like her then a friend like you”

“ I’m really-”

28

“ Don’t want to hear it. Your silly apologies will not help my sorrow and I do not believe it even make a difference. You just are not worth it. “ I said after interrupting her.

“ Please just give me a chance. I can be a good friend. I don’t have any other friends.”

“ Do you ever wonder why? Well just looked what happened with me. You are selfish and rude. You can’t seem to think about anything   other than yourself and do not care if I feel sad. Your non attention to detail has  caused you a lot. As she backed up she was not looking at the revenue behind her. Her death was her fault

 

29

CHAPTER   10

I ran towards the city to the twin towers. It was day by now and I was

dieing to see if my mother was okay. There were stretchers and ambulances all around the rubble. I ran up to the policeman from earlier.

“ Hey you. You look familiar “

“ Don’t mention it. Was there a survivor named Jenie Vanroe?

“ Let me check. ummmmmmmm” He said. It seemed like forever before  

30

he told me the answer.
“ Why would this information help you?”

“ She is my mother” , I said sternly “ Yes, she was found alive and just a few broken bones.”

“ WHAT HOSPITAL ?”
“ The east side hospital.”, I barely heard him as I ran down the street  to the hospital.

“ Hello i’m  Luna Vanroe and I believe  my mother Jenie Vanroe is in this hospital. She was in the 911.”

“ Are you supposed to be in this hospital too? “ The worker said

“ Never mind that. What room is my mother in ?”

“ Room 207” The male worker said as I walked down the hallway and

31

Stopped at room 207. I peered in the room. The T.V. was on and the shades were closed. I walked in slowly. As my mother saw me her face filled up with joy, but then again it filled with sadness. Tears rolled down both of our  faces as I ran to her bed and hugged her.

“ How are you? “ I asked concerned about her health.

“ I’m okay, but what happened. I know about the attack but, where is Julia. You two  go everywhere together.”. At that  moment I started to miss Julia.

“ She’s dead.” I said straight out. I couldn’t keep my X- best friend’s death

32

a secret.

“ How did that happen? “

“ The revenue  at the end of the town.”

 

13  DAYS LATER

CHAPTER     11

33

I walked down the street and looked around. The sky still looked dark. All the smoke had not yet cleared up. I heard a meow from behind me. I walked into the passage between two buildings. A kitten was wedged between three bushes. I grabbed the kitten ( Who was meowing like crazy)

and put him in my purse. I walked home fastly. I didn’t make it home

34

though. Nena was walking near the park. As I ran to her the kitten meowed again and I took him out of my purse and held him. He had no collar on, but he seemed healthy and young. Maybe two months. He seemed alone in this world. Almost like I felt. He was orange and white. I got to Nena and

said her name. “ Nena”, I said

“ Luna, how are you? “ Nena said. I could tell something was wrong.

“ Why aren’t you home? It’s nearly night. “

“ I… I don’t have a home. “ I stared at her and decided what to do. I picked up my phone to call a homeless shelter.

“ Please don’t. I have a plan to get on the next subway going to chicago.”

“ Why. I can’t let you do that.”, I said as she started to walk away.

35

 

CHAPTER       12

 

As I walked into my house my mother was sitting  on the couch watching a playback of the 911.

“ What is that in your purse.”

I grabbed the kitten out of my purse and showed him to her.

“ Oh he is just amazing. What are you going to name him.”

“ I don’t know if I want to name him.”, I said

36

“ Well if that’s what you chose.”, she said surprised  

“ He was found with no collar no home and no name. Not everything has to change. Change is good but not too much of it. So he will live his life with

no name.”  

I ran down to the subway station. Looking around I found Nena in a corner

37

with the few belongings she had.  

“ So this is really it.” I said unsure of the situation  at hand.
“ Yup. I have family members there, that I hope are kind enough to help me. My mother and father were not very good friends to my mother’s side of the family. They don’t even know my parents are dead.”, Nena said with a hopeful tone.

38

“ Well if this is really it, I hope all goes well in chicago for you, and if your family doesn’t take you in we always have space in our house for you.”, I said realizing this was the last goodbye.  We hugged each other and said our final goodbye’s. As she walked on the subway she dropped something. I yelled for her to come back but, it was too late. I walked up to the object; tripping over a piece of rock, and realized what it was. It was a flower. A red rose with purple in the middle. I had never seen anything like it before. A piece of paper fell from the back. I picked it up and read the back.

39

This flower, when planted grows each

year. It never dies. Just like people. Their souls never stop living in your heart. Remembering this kept me happy after my parents died. I hope it will help you through the rough patches. I know your heart and soul is as pure as this never dieing

rose.

Your lost friend,

Nena

40
Goodbye for the last time by Ava S - Illustrated by Ava S - Ourboox.com

                         epilogue-

 

 

__________________________20 YEARS IN THE FUTURE________

 

42

As I ran towards the memorial my cat ( who I never named)  follows me, waddling behind me trying to catch up as, the sun beats down on my face. Ever since the tragedy of the 911 things haven’t been the best for me. Now I think I have found a happy place in the world. I am meeting my husband and three children at the memorial of the 911. My mother died two years back. I learned to face death of loved ones from Nena. I do miss Nena and Julia dearly, as they helped me with my troubles through the dark times. My mother helped me the most and it was hard to say

43

goodbye, but she said to me before she died, “ I want you and your husband not to think about me, I want you too love on for me, with no sorrow and sadness. You have had a hard life so far, but I promise it will get better. You will find a happy place. And I will see you on the other side when the time is right. Don’t be afraid. Face it with dignity, humility and

44

goodbye, but she said to me before she died, “ I want you and your husband not to think about me, I want you too love on for me, with no sorrow and sadness. You have had a hard life so far, but I promise it will get better. You will find a happy place. And I will see you on the other side when the time is right. Don’t be afraid. Face it with dignity, humility and grace. You will grow up to be an amazing , kind, never forgotten soul. I promise. I love you more than anything. This end to me is just a beginning for many new things. For me and for  you. Now I get to see your father and all before. I love you my darling and I will never forget you, as long as you never forget me. Do you promise?”

“ I promise. I love you.”

Happy things end. Just don’t deny it. Face the truth. Face the world. It is all yours to create. All I had to do was say goodbye,

45

for the last time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

46

Source

 

 

 

 

 

Greene, Jacqueline The 2001 World Trade Center Attack. New York; Bearport Publishing, 2007. Print.

47

Authors note

 

This story was worth it. Every letter forms words, and every word forms sentences. Which form paragraphs, and chapters. Every chapter has me in it. But also a me that i have never met. This is because with every new step you take with writing comes new creativity and heart. This story is me. But also this story is something created some where no one knows. This story is creativity. But at the same time it is real. I our minds. That is what stories are. Us.

48

About the Author

 

Ava Schulz was born is Greenbay, Wisconsin and lives there now. She is a dancer in Greenbay. Her first story was writen at school.

49
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content