Vegetarian Food by Oksana Rohovets - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Vegetarian Food

  • Joined Mar 2021
  • Published Books 1

Task 1: Study the vocabulary. Match.  

  1. a vegetarian diet                   a) покращити якість
  2. a vegetarian                         b) знизити ризик
  3. to reduce the risk of              c) включення
  4. to support weight loss           d) більше споживання
  5. to improve the quality of       e) вегетаріанець
  6. to abstain from                     f) тваринництво
  7. to adopt                               g) підтримати схуднення
  8. livestock production              h) ліквідувати
  9. the inclusion of                     i) прийняти
  10. the exclusion of                    j) посилювати
  11. a higher intake of                 k) дефіцит поживних речовин
  12. to eliminate                          l) дозволити
  13. to allow                                m) вегетаріанська дієта
  14. to enhance                           n) утриматися від
  15. to reduce                             o) виключення
  16. nutritional deficiencies           p) зменшити

Task 2: Read the text below. Match choices (1- 6) to (A-E). There is one choice you don’t need to use.

The Vegetarian Diet

  1. Are there any potential downsides?
  2. Is the vegetarian diet popular nowadays?
  3. What are the most common types of vegetarianism?
  4. What health benefits are vegetarian diets associated with?
  5. What is a Vegetarian Diet?
  6. What does vegetarian sources include?

A _____________________________________

The vegetarian diet has gained widespread popularity in recent years. Some studies estimate that vegetarians account for up to 18% of the global population. Apart from the ethical and environmental benefits of cutting meat from your diet, a well-planned vegetarian diet is believed to be a healthier choice.

B ______________________________________

The vegetarian diet involves abstaining from eating meat, fish and poultry. People often adopt a vegetarian diet for religious or personal reasons, as well as ethical issues, such as animal rights.  Others decide to become vegetarian for environmental reasons, as livestock production increases greenhouse gas emissions, contributes to climate change and requires large amounts of water, energy and natural resources.

C ______________________________________

Most people who follow a vegetarian diet don’t eat meat, fish or poultry. Other variations involve the inclusion or exclusion of eggs, dairy and other animal products.

Lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet: Eliminates meat, fish and poultry but allows eggs and dairy products.

Lacto-vegetarian diet: Eliminates meat, fish, poultry and eggs but allows dairy products.

Ovo-vegetarian diet: Eliminates meat, fish, poultry and dairy products but allows eggs.

Pescetarian diet: Eliminates meat and poultry but allows fish and sometimes eggs and dairy products.

Vegan diet: Eliminates meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products, as well as other animal-derived products, such as honey.

Flexitarian diet: A mostly vegetarian diet that incorporates occasional meat, fish or poultry.

D _________________________________________

In fact, studies show that vegetarians tend to have better diet quality than meat-eaters and a higher intake of important nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, vitamin E and magnesium. A vegetarian diet may enhance weight loss, reduce cancer risk, prevent diabetes by stabilizing blood sugar levels in the long term, promotes heart health. But when cutting meat or other animal products from your diet, it’s important to ensure you’re getting these essential nutrients from other sources.

E _________________________________________

However, vegetarianism may also increase your risk of certain nutritional deficiencies. Meat, poultry and fish supply a good amount of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, as well as micronutrients like zinc, selenium, iron and vitamin B12. Other animal products like dairy and eggs also contain plenty of calcium, vitamin D and B vitamins. Studies show that vegetarians are at a higher risk of protein, calcium, iron, iodine and vitamin B12 deficiencies. A nutritional deficiency in these key micronutrients can lead to symptoms like fatigue, weakness, anemia, bone loss and thyroid issues.

 

(https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vegetarian-diet-plan)

 

Task 3: Complete the following sentences with the words phrases in red colour from the text (task 2).

1) __________________________, the most common type of vegetarian diet, involves eliminating all meat, poultry and fish.

2) A _________________ should include a diverse mix of fruits, vegetables, grains, healthy fats and proteins.

3) A _______________________ is the most restrictive form of vegetarianism because it bars meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy and any other animal products.

4) Eating nutrient-dense whole foods like fruits, vegetables and whole grains will supply a range of important ______________and minerals to fill in any nutritional gaps in your diet.

5) There are many variations of___________________, each with different restrictions.

6) To replace the _______________ provided by meat in your diet, include a variety of protein-rich plant foods like nuts, seeds, legumes, tempeh, tofu and seitan.

2
Vegetarian Food by Oksana Rohovets - Ourboox.com

Task 5: Watch the video of making delicious healthy veggie nuggets packed with red lentils. 

 

4

Task 6: Do the test.

5

ВИКОРИСТАНІ ДЖЕРЕЛА

  1. Vegetarian Food https://images.app.goo.gl/X8YSAkJyKpsGc2gKA
  2. The Vegetarian Diet: A Beginner’s Guide and Meal Plan by Rachel Link on October 17,2018  https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vegetarian-diet-plan

  3. Vegetarian Food Pyramid  https://edgyveg.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/introductionpyramid.gif
  4. Lentil Veggie Nuggets | Healthy Nuggets for Kids by Ciara Attwell                                          https://youtu.be/MtEZ3ibYXjE
6
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content