Kosher Supervisor by Dafna Perlstein - Illustrated by Dafna Perlstein - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Kosher Supervisor

by

Artwork: Dafna Perlstein

  • Joined Mar 2023
  • Published Books 11

A kosher supervisor, also known as a mashgiach or mashgiach temidi, is an individual responsible for overseeing and certifying that food establishments comply with the dietary laws of kashrut, which are the Jewish dietary laws.

In Judaism, kosher refers to food that is prepared and consumed in accordance with these laws. A kosher supervisor ensures that the food production process, ingredients, and equipment meet the specific requirements of kashrut. They play a crucial role in maintaining the kosher certification of a food establishment, such as a restaurant, catering service, or food manufacturing facility.

 

Kosher supervision is essential for observant Jews who strictly follow the dietary laws. The role of a kosher supervisor is to ensure that food establishments meet these requirements, enabling individuals who adhere to kosher dietary laws to have confidence in the food they consume.

2

Parve foods play an essential role in kosher meal planning, as they provide flexibility in creating balanced and diverse meals. They can be used as ingredients in both meat and dairy dishes, allowing for more culinary options within the constraints of kashrut. For example, parve margarine can be used to prepare a parve cake that can be enjoyed after a meat meal.

 

It’s important to note that while parve foods do not contain meat or dairy ingredients, they must still be prepared in a kosher manner and not come into contact with utensils or surfaces that have been used for meat or dairy products, respectively, to maintain their parve status.

3

When I was younger, my dad bought me a Parve cake because I’ve always had an allergy to milk.

However, after taking a bite, I had an allergic reaction. My face turned red, and I started experiencing itching all over my body.

My dad, furious, stormed back to the kosher bakery and confronted them, explaining that the cake was not truly Parve and they should have been aware of it!

Realizing their mistake, they apologized and inquired if my allergy was life-threatening. My dad responded that it wasn’t.

In a surprising turn of events, they offered me a job to taste-test all their new desserts, ensuring their authenticity as ‘Parve.’

4
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Skip to content