MIT 822: Augmented Reality by Sam Nelson - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

MIT 822: Augmented Reality

  • Joined Nov 2022
  • Published Books 1

What is Augmented Reality?

 

According to the article “What is Augmented Reality?” the definition is “Augmented Reality is defined as the technology and methods that allow overlaying of real-world objects and environments with 3D virtual objects using an AR device, and allow the virtual to interact with the real-world objects to create intended meanings” (2022).

2
MIT 822: Augmented Reality by Sam Nelson - Ourboox.com

What Does Augmented Reality Do?

 

Augmented reality enhances one’s experience in what they are doing. It delivers visual, sound, and sensory elements to the user through the chosen device (phone, tablet, etc.). This gives the user an experience where the elements come together to alter the user’s perception of the real world.

4
MIT 822: Augmented Reality by Sam Nelson - Ourboox.com

Benefits of AR in the Classroom

 

  1. Student Engagement and Interest – AR is very hands on and very cool to experience, which causes students to be more engaged and interested in what they are learning.
  2. Content Understanding – AR provides opportunities to immerse and engage students in their learning, which therefore helps students with overall content understanding.
  3. Collaboration – AR provides a lot of opportunities to collaborate in groups as it is digital and easily shared.
  4. Cost Effective – AR is starting to pop up more and more on smartphones and tablets, which is making the use of it much more cost effective and easily accessible in the classroom.
6
MIT 822: Augmented Reality by Sam Nelson - Ourboox.com

Assemblr

 

Assemblr has content from various fields and provides the opportunity for students to learn through fun and engaging visuals. It is also an app on the phone, which provides easy access in the classroom.

8

Google Lens

 

Google Lens does a lot. Google Lens can be downloaded on your smartphone and can be used to help with homework answers, identify plants and animals, etc. Particularly in the classroom, Google Lens could be beneficial in a science lesson where students are learning about plants and animals.

9

JigSpace

 

JigSpace is a 3D knowledge sharing platform that makes it easy to create things. Like many others, JigSpace is available to download as an app on the phone or tablet, which makes it easy to use in the classroom. One way this could be used in the classroom is to have students create something on their own or in a group related to content that is being taught.

10

Math Ninja AR

 

Math Ninja AR has students practice math facts while guiding them through an different reality where they must physically move around to find the answer. While my students may be a little old for this, I get many kids who do not know their basic math facts. I think this would be a great way to get younger kids to practice math in a fun and engaging way.

11

Augmented Classroom

 

Augmented Classroom can be used to facilitate interactive lessons in a 3D augmented environment. It is available on mobile devices, laptops, Chromebooks, and touchboards. There are plenty of fun immersive activities and games that students can work on that are also aligned to curriculum standards.

12

ISTE Standards

 

Since I have never seen any of the teachers at my school use augmented reality, I think it would be a cool thing for me to try out. Then, I could share my findings with others and show my colleagues how to use AR in their classrooms as well (ISTE, 2.2.c, 2017).

 

Using technology like the various AR apps creates personal learning experiences where students can learn independently or with others (ISTE, 2.5.a, 2017).

13

References

 

12 augmented reality apps for the classroom. TeachThought. (2022, January 22). Retrieved November 27, 2022, from https://www.teachthought.com/technology/augmented-reality-apps/

Augmented reality in education: Interactive classrooms. Maryville Online. (2021, March 18). Retrieved November 27, 2022, from https://online.maryville.edu/blog/augmented-reality-in-education/

Danhoff, C. (2021, June 16). 7 augmented reality tools for the classroom. Edutopia. Retrieved November 27, 2022, from https://www.edutopia.org/article/7-augmented-reality-tools-classroom

 

International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2017) ISTE standards: Educators. https://www.iste.org/standards/iste-standards-for-teachers 

What is augmented reality – technology, Examples & History. Software Testing Help. (2022, October 25). Retrieved November 27, 2022, from https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/what-is-augmented-reality/

14
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content