recipe book

by Asaf koch

Artwork: Asaf Koch

This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

recipe book

by

Artwork: Asaf Koch

  • Joined Dec 2023
  • Published Books 2

 

SERVES 12 TO 14
COOKS IN1 HOUR 10 MINUTES

 

 

 

Ingredients:

  • 1 kg small-medium waxy potatoes
  • ½ a bunch of fresh rosemary , (15g)
  • 80 g unsalted butter , (cold)
  • olive oil
  • runny honey
  • 75 g Gorgonzola cheese

 

 

    steps:

    1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400°F/gas 6.
    2. Make cuts across the width of each potato, 1 to 2mm apart, all the way along. Slice about two-thirds of the way into the flesh.
    3. Pick the rosemary, then stuff the cuts in the potatoes sporadically with the rosemary leaves.
    4. Cube, then dot the butter over the base of a large roasting tray and drizzle in the oil. Pop the tray into the oven for a few minutes so that the butter melts, then place the potatoes carefully into the tray.Roast for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden and cooked through, basting with the butter in the tray a few times during cooking and turning regularly until they are golden and crisp all over.
    5. Drizzle all the spuds lightly with the honey, then return to the oven or another 5 minutes.
    6. Remove from the oven and place the potatoes on a board or platter. Crumble over the gorgonzola and serve while still warm.
2

 

SERVES 8
COOKS IN 2 HOURS

 

 

 

Ingredients:

  • 400g higher-welfare pork or veggie sausages
  • olive oil
  • ½ a stick of cinnamon
  • 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
  • 2 heaped teaspoons Cajun seasoning
  • 2 heaped teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 500g frozen chopped mixed onion, carrot and celery
  • 1 small butternut squash
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 x 400g tins of beans such as kidney, black, pinto, cannellini, borlotti or butter beans
  • 2 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
  • extra virgin olive oil , (optional)
  • a few sprigs of fresh coriander

 

    steps:

  1. Squeeze the sausagemeat out of the skin into little balls (if using veggie sausages, roughly slice) and place in a large deep pan over a medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the cinnamon stick and a big pinch of black pepper. Fry for 5 minutes, or until browned, stirring regularly, then strip in the rosemary leaves and stir in the Cajun seasoning and smoked paprika for 1 minute.
  2. Add the frozen mixed veg and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, or until softened and lightly golden, stirring occasionally.
  3. Peel, deseed and chop the butternut squash into 1.5cm chunks, then peel and finely chop the garlic. Add everything to the pan along with the balsamic vinegar, stirring for 1 minute, then add the beans (juices and all).
  4. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Tip in the tomatoes, breaking them up with the back of your spoon, then half-fill each tin with water, swirl around and pour into the pan.
  5. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and bake in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender and the sauce is slightly thickened, removing the lid for the final 30 minutes and adding splashes of water, if needed.
  6. Once the time’s up, gently mash around a third of the chilli, until some of the beans are squashed into the sauce, then give everything a good stir. Taste and season to perfection, tweaking with a little balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, if you like. Pick over the coriander leaves and serve with fluffy rice, dollops of yoghurt and a fresh green salad.
3

 

SERVES 6 – 8
COOKS IN3 HOURS 50 MINUTES PLUS SOAKING OVERNIGHT

Ingredients:

  • 3 higher-welfare ham hocks (roughly 2.3kg in total)
  • 2 leeks
  • 1 stick of celery
  • 3 carrots
  • olive oil
  • 2 fresh bay leaves
  • 100 g pearl barley
  • 1 litre organic chicken stock
  • 400 g frozen peas
  • ½ a bunch of fresh curly parsley
  • 1 heaped tablespoon mint sauce

 

 

    steps:

  1. The day before you cook this recipe, soak the ham hocks in a pot of cold water overnight.
  2. The next day, drain the hocks, refill the pot with fresh cold water and bring to the boil. Discard the salty water, rinse the hocks, and repeat once more.
  3. Trim and finely slice the leeks, celery and carrots in your food processor or using a mandolin (use the guard!).
  4. Add the veg to a casserole pan with a lug of oil, a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, and the bay leaves. Sweat over a medium heat for 15 minutes, or until the veg are soft but not coloured, stirring occasionally.
  5. Add the drained ham hocks, pearl barley and chicken stock. Bring to the boil then cook, with the lid on, over a medium-low heat for 3 hours, or until the meat is very tender. Check on it occasionally, and top up with more hot stock or water if it gets too dry.
  6. Using tongs, transfer the ham hocks to a clean board and carefully remove all the fat and bones. Shred the meat then return it to the broth. Turn the heat up and add the peas.
  7. When they’re tender, pick, finely chop and stir in the parsley along with the mint sauce. Serve with bread and English mustard.
4

Mulled beer

serves 4
30 mins

Ingredients:

  • 1 litre (we used Hiver) honey beer or ale
  • 300ml clear apple juice
  • 100ml calvados or brandy
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 5 cloves
  • 1 star anise
  • ½ lemon, zest peeled off in a strip
  • clementines or orange, zest peeled off in a strip
  • 4-6 tbsp  light muscovado sugar

 

 

STEP 1:

  • Put all the ingredients into a pan and bring them slowly to just below a simmer – don’t let the pan boil. Serve in heatproof glasses.
5

 

MAKES 8
COOKS IN 20 MINUTES

Ingredients:

  • 100 g quality dark chocolate (70%)
  • 4 bananas
  • 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
  • 3 tablespoons freeze-dried raspberries

steps:

  • Snap the chocolate into a heatproof bowl, and carefully place over a pan of gently simmering water until smooth and melted, stirring occasionally (or melt in the microwave).
  • Peel the bananas and cut them in half, then carefully push a skewer into each flat end until you can hold it upright.
  • Carefully dip the bananas into the melted chocolate and lay on a sheet of greaseproof paper. Sprinkle over the coconut and raspberries in a pattern of your choice, then set aside until the chocolate has set.
  • Delicious eaten by the bonfire or while watching the fireworks. Boom!
6
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content