Simon and Garfunkel Succumb to the Sixties by Sixties Course, Mel Rosenberg - Illustrated by Miki Peled - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Simon and Garfunkel Succumb to the Sixties

by

Artwork: Miki Peled

This is the account of the music of the sixties course "Evolution of the Revolution" that we give every semester Read More
  • Joined Jun 2016
  • Published Books 24

Simon and Garfunkel were a duo that grew up in New York on rock and roll, folk-protest, gospel and the Everly Brothers.

Everly Brothers classic  All I Have To Do Is Dream

2

Another Everly Brothers hit (co-written by Carole King)

3

In October, 1964 they released their first LP. Wednesday Morning, 3 am. It was a mixture of gospel, folk and protest. It was produced by Tom Wilson.

It went nowhere. Simon went to England. Garfunkel went back to school.

4
Simon and Garfunkel Succumb to the Sixties by Sixties Course, Mel Rosenberg - Illustrated by Miki Peled - Ourboox.com

The album had two gems that Simon had written. The first was a song called “Bleecker Street”. The second, hidden at the very end of the A side of the LP was a diamond in the rough. The Sound of Silence.

6

The Sound of Silence (Original Version from 1964)

7

If Tom Wilson hadn’t already realized that the rock beat was king, then he probably did get the picture in early 1965.  He had produced Dylan‘s version of “Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man”, which was fine.

8

But the Beatle-like version of the Byrds (the one we all recognize with the jingle jangle of the 12 string guitar and the gentle rock beat) went stellar. So without telling the musicians (producers had more chutzpa and control in the sixties), he hired studio musicians, to overdub the song.

9

This helped turn it into a rock song which was released in early 1966 and became a rock legend.It spawned another LP called “Sounds of Silence” (this time successful), brought the duo back together and launched them on their road to rock stardom.

10

I never spoke to Paul Simon about it (or to Art, for that matter) but I sense their ambivalence. On the one hand, Wilson wrecked the whole idea behind the song. On the other hand, it was their step to stardom.

12

In their concert in Central Park in 1981, they preferred the quiet, haunting acoustic version.

13

Concert in Central Park

14

Thank you for reading my book!

If you like it, you might also want to read:

Bach to Beatles

Brian Gunshor Talks about Woodstock

Read more about me and see ALL my books on Ourboox (I have many)

Or even better, create a book of your own!!!

Here is a tutorial to help you get started on your own voyage as an Ourboox contributor!  And finally, you can always write me at [email protected]

15
16
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Skip to content