Illustrated by Etzion Goel
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

The Football and the Tree – New and Revised

by

Artwork: Etzion Goel

After fruitful careers as a scientist and inventor I've gone back to what I love most - writing children's books Read More
  • Joined Oct 2013
  • Published Books 1550

When Jonathan turned six, he received a football for his birthday. The ball was signed by a very famous player. His father had brought it all the way from Brazil.

2
Illustrated by Etzion Goel

Jonathan ran out to play in the park. A mean kid from the neighborhood grabbed the ball and kicked it so hard and high that it got stuck in a tree. He just smiled and walked away.

 

4
Illustrated by Etzion Goel

Jonathan stood there for hours. He came back the next day, and the day after that. He cried. He waited in the rain. But the ball was nowhere to be found.

 

6
Illustrated by Etzion Goel

Every year, on his birthday, Jonathan would visit the tree. He would search among the leaves. But the ball was nowhere to be found.

8
Illustrated by Etzion Goel

One day Jonathan met a girl and fell in love. They got married and moved away.

10
Illustrated by Etzion Goel

Every year, on his birthday, he would drive with his wife to visit the tree. He would tell her the story. When they had children, he would bring them to visit the tree as well.

12
Illustrated by Etzion Goel

Jonathan’s children grew up, got married and had children of their own. Now he was a grandfather. When Annie, his eldest granddaughter, was six, he took her to see the tree.

14
Illustrated by Etzion Goel

Annie looked at the tree. She looked at her grandfather. She thought for a moment.

“Grandfather,” she said, “There are so many trees in the park. Are you sure this is the right one? And even if the ball is still there, it must be very, very old.”

“Grandfather”, she said, “Why don’t we just go buy a new ball and play together?”

16
The Football and the Tree – New and Revised by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Illustrated by Etzion Goel - Ourboox.com

And so they did.

Jonathan smiled for the first time in many, many years.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

18
Illustrated by Etzion Goel

They walked home slowly,

 

 

20
The Football and the Tree – New and Revised by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Illustrated by Etzion Goel - Ourboox.com

Hand in hand, 

22
The Football and the Tree – New and Revised by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Illustrated by Etzion Goel - Ourboox.com

And Jonathan never visited the tree again. 

24
The Football and the Tree – New and Revised by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Illustrated by Etzion Goel - Ourboox.com

Football (known as ‘soccer’ in some countries) is the most popular sport in the whole world. To play you don’t need fancy, expensive equipment, just a ball, a pair of legs and a goal or two. Children and adults in China and Rome played similar games thousands of years ago.

In our story, the ball was signed by a famous player from Brazil. Although the story does not name the player, it could be Edson Arantes do Nascimento, known around the world as Pelé.

26

Pelé grew up in poverty, and not having enough money for a real ball, would play with stuffed socks and grapefruits. At the age of seventeen, he became an international hero as he led Brazil to win the World Cup, scoring two goals. He went on to become the greatest football player that ever lived.

Although I never had a ball signed by Pelé, I did receive his signature on a poster. I gave to my own son, who played football and is now a coach. Doe this have anything to do with the story? Perhaps.

27
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Skip to content