Fountain Pen writing
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

The “Fountain Pen Press”

Eli Dr. Blues Marcus is a musician, Blues collector, Blues historian, and a radio presenter. He also collects fountain pens, Read More
  • Joined Feb 2014
  • Published Books 3
fountain pen press signature

I created the “fountain Pen Press” sometime in the late 1970’s, during my college years. I like to make hand-written and hand-drawn birthday cards for close friends and family. Each card is completely unique, and is inspired by the moment I create it.

It occurred to me that as I use fountain pens to write and draw, one of the things that makes each card unique is the fountain pen. So I came up with the idea of the “fountain Pen Press” – the lower case in “fountain” is on purpose; the curl in the written lower case f is more aesthetic to my eye, and it rolls nicely with a fountain pen.

 

3
Mom BD Card
Amber BD Card

Obviously, “fountain Pen Press” is an oxymoron, a contradiction in terms. It was my sort of tongue in cheek way of saying “this is one of a kind”, this is anti-commercial, anti-corporate in its essence. I seem to recall that I also had a slogan at one time that said something like: “at the fountain Pen Press we are a person, not a corporation”.

6
Jade BD
Marshal McLuhan Medium...

Marshal McLuhan taught us that “the medium is the message”, and a fountain pen is a medium of expression.

Fountain pens are completely tactile, responsive, they both impart to the user and take on from the user a unique individual style. Fountain pens allow creativity, and you might even say they demand it.

Writing and drawing with fountain pens is not only tactile, it is actually sensual!

9
Staedtler-Blue-FP

My first fountain pen was a gift from my Uncle Wilf, who was visiting Israel in the late 1960’s while we were still living there. I was 10 at the time, and he gave me a nice blue Staedtler fountain pen, the kind that has a built in piston pump for refilling the pen from an ink bottle. I was ruined for life! I have been writing almost exclusively with fountain pens ever since! I thoroughly enjoyed using that first blues pen, filling it, cleaning it, doodling with it, getting used to the angles that a fountain pen allows you to write and draw with…

 

11
Sheaffer Imperial-Touchdown

Around that same time, my Dad gave me a classic Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown pen – a lovely black pen with gold trim and a gold nib. This model of Sheaffer featured a nib that is embedded in-line with the body of the pen – an innovative and very aesthetic design that was unique to Sheaffer and to this line of pens introduced in the early 1960’s. I still have that Sheaffer, and have since added a few more similar pens to my collection. The feel of that Sheaffer in my hand is still one of my all time favorites.

13

I never really considered myself a collector of pens in the past, having maybe a dozen or so pens, I considered myself as simply someone who appreciated fountain pens and used them daily. However, since discovering a group of local enthusiasts in the Israel Fountain Pen Society, I have learned to appreciate more kinds of fountain pens, to start using different colors and types of ink, and I guess I have suddenly become a collector too.

😉

14
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content