The Phantom Of The Opera by Ido Keinan - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

The Phantom Of The Opera

  • Joined Nov 2018
  • Published Books 2

The Phantom of the Opera is a musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Charles Hart and Richard Stilgoe. It is based on the French novel by the same name by Gaston Leroux, first published in 1909.

The musical opened in London’s East End in 1986 and on Broadway in 1988. It won the 1986 Olivier Award and the 1988 Tony Award for Best Musical.

It is the longest running show in Broadway history and the second longest-running West End musical, after Les MisérablesThe musical was the most financially successful entertainment event until The Lion King (the musical) surpassed it in 2014.

Phantom still plays at Her Majesty’s Theatre in London, the same place it was first previewed in 1986.

2

The original cast consisted of:

Michael Crawford as the Phantom of the Opera (WE and Broadway). He won the Olivier and Tony Awards for Best Actor in a Musical for his role.

Sarah Brightman as Christine Daaé. (WE and Broadway).

Steve Barton (passed away in 2001) as Raoul (WE and Broadway).

With many more roles and actors on different stages and time periods.

In the 2004 film the Phantom is played by Gerard Butler.

3

The plot (in short) tells the story of a 1881 opera house in Paris and it’s illusive, disfigured musical genius dweller, which terrorizes the actors and managers but falls in love with the voice of one Christine Daaé and becomes her guide (sometimes unwillingly).

The story takes place in several time periods, with time leaps happening at key moments.

As all musicals, most of the story is told in a song like fashion (mostly operatic) with songs being used as a story telling tool as well.

4

And now, with the opening out of the way, we can start to take a look at the musical numbers which gave this musical its fame!

5

6

The main theme (here by Sierra Boggess and Ramin Karimloo at the classic BRIT awards) plays several times during the show in different variations and usually singles the presence of the Phantom:

7

“Think of Me” – the reveal of Christine Daaé:

8

And from the movie:

9

“Angle of Music”

10

“The Point of No Return”

11

“All I Ask of You”

12

“The Music of the Night”

13

“Masquerade/Why So Silent”. The start of the second act. A dramatic change of tone happens at 5:55

14

15

One of the many praises given to the musical is its use of the stage and theater itself, as seen by the famous chandelier scene:

16
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content