Tuberculosis by Donika Lici - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Tuberculosis

  • Joined Nov 2018
  • Published Books 45

 

Tuberculosis (TB) is an infectious disease usually caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) bacteria.Tuberculosis generally affects the lungs, but can also affect other parts of the body. Most infections do not have symptoms, in which case it is known as latent tuberculosis. About 10% of latent infections progress to active disease which, if left untreated, kills about half of those affected. The classic symptoms of active TB are a chronic cough with blood-containing sputumfevernight sweats, and weight loss. It was historically called “consumption” due to the weight loss. Infection of other organs can cause a wide range of symptoms.

2
Tuberculosis by Donika Lici - Ourboox.com

 

 

Tuberculosis is spread through the air when people who have active TB in their lungs cough, spit, speak, or sneeze. People with latent TB do not spread the disease. Active infection occurs more often in people with HIV/AIDS and in those who smoke. Diagnosis of active TB is based on chest X-rays, as well as microscopicexamination and culture of body fluids. Diagnosis of latent TB relies on the tuberculin skin test (TST) or blood tests.

4
Tuberculosis by Donika Lici - Ourboox.com

Signs and symptoms

 

 

6

The main symptoms of variants and stages of tuberculosis are given, with many symptoms overlapping with other variants, while others are more (but not entirely) specific for certain variants. Multiple variants may be present simultaneously.

Tuberculosis may infect any part of the body, but most commonly occurs in the lungs (known as pulmonary tuberculosis). Extrapulmonary TB occurs when tuberculosis develops outside of the lungs, although extrapulmonary TB may coexist with pulmonary TB.

General signs and symptoms include feverchillsnight sweatsloss of appetiteweight loss, and fatigue. significant  nail clubbing may also occur.

 

7

Pulmonary

If a tuberculosis infection does become active, it most commonly involves the lungs (in about 90% of cases). Symptoms may include chest pain and a prolonged cough producing sputum. About 25% of people may not have any symptoms (i.e. they remain “asymptomatic”). Occasionally, people may cough up blood in small amounts, and in very rare cases, the infection may erode into the pulmonary artery or a Rasmussen’s aneurysm, resulting in massive bleeding. Tuberculosis may become a chronic illness and cause extensive scarring in the upper lobes of the lungs. The upper lung lobes are more frequently affected by tuberculosis than the lower ones. The reason for this difference is not clear. It may be due to either better air flow, or poor lymph drainage within the upper lungs.

8
Tuberculosis by Donika Lici - Ourboox.com

Mycobacteria

Scanning electron micrograph of M. tuberculosis

 

10

 

The main cause of TB is Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB), a small, aerobic, nonmotile bacillus. The high lipid content of this pathogen accounts for many of its unique clinical characteristics. It divides every 16 to 20 hours, which is an extremely slow rate compared with other bacteria, which usually divide in less than an hour. Mycobacteria have an outer membranelipid bilayer. If a Gram stain is performed, MTB either stains very weakly “Gram-positive” or does not retain dye as a result of the high lipid and mycolic acid content of its cell wall. MTB can withstand weak disinfectants and survive in a dry state for weeks. In nature, the bacterium can grow only within the cells of a host organism, but M. tuberculosis can be cultured in the laboratory.

11

Treatment of TB uses antibiotics to kill the bacteria. Effective TB treatment is difficult, due to the unusual structure and chemical composition of the mycobacterial cell wall, which hinders the entry of drugs and makes many antibiotics ineffective.

Latent TB is treated with either isoniazid alone, or a combination of isoniazid with either rifampicin or rifapentine. The treatment takes at least three months. People with latent infections are treated to prevent them from progressing to active TB disease later in life.

Active TB disease is best treated with combinations of several antibiotics to reduce the risk of the bacteria developing antibiotic resistance

12
Tuberculosis by Donika Lici - Ourboox.com

Public health

The World Health Organization declared TB a “global health emergency” in 1993, and in 2006, the Stop TB Partnership developed a Global Plan to Stop Tuberculosis that aimed to save 14 million lives between its launch and 2015. A number of targets they set were not achieved by 2015, mostly due to the increase in HIV-associated tuberculosis and the emergence of multiple drug-resistant tuberculosis. A tuberculosis classification system developed by the American Thoracic Society is used primarily in public health programs

14
Tuberculosis by Donika Lici - Ourboox.com

 

 

 

Worked by students of Kongresi i Manastirit school, Albania.

 

Emi. Insi, Selena, Sara, Erisa & Arjola

 

THANK YOU!

16
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content