Mel’s Video Interviews with Children’s Book Professionals by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Illustrated by Cover by Rotem Omri  - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Mel’s Video Interviews with Children’s Book Professionals

by

Artwork: Cover by Rotem Omri

After fruitful careers as a scientist and inventor I've gone back to what I love most - writing children's books Read More
  • Joined Oct 2013
  • Published Books 1550

A wonderful conversation with Harold Underdown about his life and chosen profession – editing children’s books. Harold talks about his favorite children’s books growing up, his original plan of becoming a school teacher which morphed into an unexpected role as assistant editor. He discusses the importance of reader response (including those responses unanticipated by the author). Harold explains why during his career he preferred helping hundreds of authors publish children’s books rather than write his own and how his career as a teacher helped him understand the needs of children to see themselves in their books.

2

Facebook video – Harold Underdown

YouTube video:

3

“Nothing is impossible if you can imagine it.” Vivian turned from a shy, timid, young girl into a kindergarten teacher and from there to a self-assured ice-cream loving published author (check out her recent wonderful book on Ella Fitzgerald and Marilyn Monroe). She was crazy about the Hardy Boys (and Nancy Drew)! Her first hand drawn story: The Balloon Man (we need to publish it on Ourboox, it has mice in it!). In 2005, she wrote a textbook for teachers and parents called “Show Me How”.  And then on to a remarkable career as a traditionally published author. “Passion, patience, productivity, practice, perseverance and participation.”

4

Facebook video – Vivian Kirkfield

YouTube:

 

5

Julie Hedlund: You have to just keep producing new work. You are changing as a writer all the time. No writing is ever wasted. When I write I want to make progress, get the manuscript from here to there, and then I lose much of the joy in the process. There is no ‘getting there’. You are always there. Writing will eventually turn into something. The process changes you. Keep going.

6

Facebook video – Julie Hedlund

Youtube

7

Elaine Kiely Kearns on FB:

Elaine Kiely Kearns on YouTube:

8

Ann Koffsky on Facebook

Ann Koffsky on YouTube

9

Facebook video – Annette Whipple

YouTube video:

10

Facebook video – Lydia Lukidis

YouTube Video:

 

 

11

Facebook video – Dr. Rajani LaRocca

YouTube:

12

Facebook video – Debra Shumaker

Youtube video:

13

Amy Murrell left an academic career to devote her time to the practice of clinical psychology and picture book writing. In this talk, she notes that she is usually a rule-follower, but that she sometimes breaks rules intentionally if there is a good reason. Amy wrote the Becca Epps Series about Bending Your Thoughts, Feelings, and Behaviors with a little rule-breaking – or at least bending in mind. The six-picture book series published by Shawnee Scientific Press uses stories to help youth think and feel more flexibly in order to do the things they care about most. Amy is now working on more traditional (less psychologically-minded) picture book writing as the Becca series is complete!

14

Facebook video – Amy Murrell

Youtube video:

15

Facebook Video – Nancy Churnin

YouTube:

16

Facebook video:

YouTube:

17

Facebook Video – Chana Stiefel 

YouTube:

18

Facebook video – Ellen Leventhal

YouTube:

19

Facebook video – Rotem Omri

Youtube:

20

Facebook video:

Youtube video:

21

Facebook video:

Youtube:

22

Facebook video:

Youtube:

23

Facebook video:

Youtube:

24

Facebook video with Melissa Stoller

Youtube video with Melissa Stoller

 

25

Alayne Kay Christian on Facebook:

Alayne Kay Christian on YouTube

26
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Skip to content