Turkish Scientists

by ege darıcı

Artwork: Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students

This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Turkish Scientists

by

Artwork: Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students

  • Joined Oct 2017
  • Published Books 1
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Hulusi Behçet

  The study of children and young people with Behçet’s disease in the UK that is being funded by the BSS and Alder Hey Children’s Charity is due to start in April 2015. Anonymous information on all possible cases in hospitals in the UK and Ireland over a 13-month period will be sent to the study team for analysis, with a follow-up questionnaire a year later.
  The initial phase of the study of Behçet’s syndrome in children under the age of 16 in the UK (the first of its kind), covered the 25 month period from May 2015 to May 2017. During that time 149 notifications of suspected cases of Behçet’s syndrome were made by UK paediatricians and paediatric dermatologists.
  At the time of writing this update, some initial questionnaires have yet to be received back by the study team, so this analysis is based on the completed questionnaires which have been received and processed to the end of May 2017 excluding any duplications and errors; a figure of 72. The data is anonymous as personal information is separated from clinical information after checking for duplication.
  31 of the 72 cases are newly diagnosed cases of Behçet’s and the other 41 are from children who were diagnosed with Behçet’s previously. This information will be used to calculate the incidence (new cases) and prevalence (previous cases) of Behçet’s syndrome.
35 of the 72 cases are girls and the other 37 are boys. 60 of the children are from white backgrounds. The second largest ethnic background is Pakistani with a total of five children.
  The average age at first symptom was 5 years and 6 months. The average age at diagnosis is 10 years and 2 months. The average delay between first symptom and formal diagnosis is 4 years and 2 months, so there is a significant delay between onset of first symptom and formal diagnosis of Behçet’s syndrome. However, this average covers a wide range of experiences, with there being a delay of less than one year in six cases and at the other end of the spectrum, there being a delay of 11 years in one case. Some of the delays can be explained by the fact that children may start with oral ulcers but do not develop other features of the disease until later.

3
  Nearly all of the children, 71, had recurrent mouth ulcers and 49 had genital ulcers. Skin rashes were the third most common symptom, being reported in 35 cases. Eye, brain and blood vessel problems were less common, being reported in 18, 10 and three cases respectively. In 13 cases the child had a first degree relative with Behçet’s syndrome and in five cases the child had a more distant relative with Behçet’s syndrome.
  Whilst eight children weren’t on any medication for their symptoms, 14 of the children were on topical treatment (mouthwash and/or steroid cream) only but another 47 were on systemic immunosuppressive treatment. 63 of the children were seen by three or more specialists and health professionals, depending on their symptoms.
  When it comes to outcomes it was recorded that 14 children had their symptoms controlled by topical treatment (mouthwash and/or steroid cream) only and a further 29 had their symptoms controlled by immunosuppressive treatment. Whilst seven children were stable off medication, 18 children had active disease despite medication.
The follow up phase of this study will run until the end of May 2018 and focus on the outcome of Behçet’s syndrome in children one year after their case was notified to the initial study. The study team will provide further updates to the BSS as the study progresses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9vQF2_LDM

4
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Canan Dağdeviren

   Canan Dagdeviren was born in 1985 in Istanbul, Turkey.She has two brothers named Emre and Caner. She started to get intrested in physics by a book that her father gave about Marie Curie.Dagdeviren obtained her B.Sc. in Physics Engineering from Hacettepe University in Ankara and graduated in 2007. She was awarded with full-scholarship throughout her M.Sc. studies in Materials Science and Engineering at Sabanci University in Istanbul. As being the top of the list in her field to be entitled to a Fulbright Doctoral Fellow, which was given for the first time in Turkey in 2009, she pursued her Ph.D. in Material Science and Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign under supervision of Prof. John A. Rogers. Dagdeviren created a wide range of piezoelectric systems that can be twisted, folded, stretched/flexed, wrapped, and implanted onto curvilinear surfaces of human body, without damage or significant alteration in device performance. She received her PhD in materials science and engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a focus on exploring patterning techniques and creating piezoelectric biomedical systems.. Her collective Ph.D. research has implications across a variety of sensors and energy harvesting components for self-powered cardiac pacemakers, multi-functional cardiac vessel stents, non-invasive/wearable/epidermal blood pressure sensors, and skin cancer detection bio-patches. Dagdeviren received her Ph.D. degree in August, 2014.

Also as a Junior Fellow of the Society of Fellows of Harvard University, she conducted her postdoctoral research at MIT David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research,working with Prof. Robert Langer to design and fabricate multi-functional, minimally invasive brain injectrodes that can simultaneously deliver drugs on demand and electrically modulate neural activity precisely and selectively for the treatment of neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s disease.

 

6

  Canan Dagdeviren joined the faculty in January 2017 to direct the new Conformable Decoders research group at the MIT Media Lab. The group creates mechanically adaptive electromechanical systems that can intimately integrate with the target object for sensing, actuation, and energy harvesting, among other applications. Dagdeviren believes that vital information from nature and the human body is ‘coded’ in various forms of physical patterns. Her research focuses on the creation of conformable decoders that can ‘decode’ these patterns into beneficial signals and/or energy.

  Dagdeviren’s work has been recognized by various prestigious media outlets, such as the Smithsonian, MIT Technology Review, Popular Mechanics, CBS News, LA Times, BBC News, New Scientist, Medical Daily, IEEE Spectrum, Physics World, Nature Materials, C&ENews, Forbes, and Qmed/Medical Product Manufacturing News. In 2015, Dagdeviren was named to the “Top 35 Innovators Under 35” (inventor category) by MIT Technology Review, and to the “Top 30 Under 30 in Science” by Forbes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roXDgEbJdtI&feature=youtu.be

 

7
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Mazhar Osman Uzman

 Ord. Professor Mazhar Osman (May 5, 1884  – August 31, 1951) was a Turkish psychiatrist, who established the first modern mental health hospital in Turkey.

 Mazhar Osman was born in 1884 in Sofalu. When he came to Istanbul, he started to Uskudar Political High School. He graduated ranking first in class in 1898. Then, although he wanted to go to the civil service, he couldn’t go because of financial problems. He went to Military Medical School.

 In 1904, Mazhar Osman was a doctor who graduated from the “Military Medical School” with the rank of captain, started to work as an assistant teacher in the “Mental Diseases Service of the Gulhane Military Medical Academy”. In 1906, his first work, “Tababet-i Ruhiye”, was published. In 1908 he went to Berlin and Munich and studied specialization in neurology and psychology. Returning to Gulhane again, Osman joined the Balkan War as a military physician in 1912. In 1914, he became the chief physician and director of Haseki Hospital. Then, at the beginning of World War I, he was re-enlisted with the rank of Major and he was a neurologist in the Haydarpaşa Military Hospital. In 1922, he was appointed chief of the Zeynep Kamil and Toptası hospitals. Mazhar Osman demanded from the state the abandoned barrack in Bakırkoy for building a hospital. The process, which started in 1924, was completed on June 15, 1927 with the establishment of Bakırkoy Mental and Neurological Diseases Hospital. Mazhar Osman had been in the hospital for a long time as chief physician. In 1933 he was appointed Ordinary Professor at Istanbul University Psychiatry Clinic. In 1941 he left the chief physician. He worked as an academician until his retirement in 1951.

9

 He worked as a physician and a scientist as well as he was the founder and president of various health associations such as “Association for Combating Drinking” and “Society of Mental and Nervous Diseases”.

 For the first time in Turkey, he played an important role in the establishment of serology, neuro-pathology, experimental psychology laboratories.

 Mazhar Osman died on 31 August 1951 in Istanbul due to diabetes and shortness of breath.

https://youtu.be/VAdySwX8lQM

10
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Selim Hanay

 attended Sabanci University for undergraduate studies and received degrees in Microelectronics Engineering and Physics. He graduated from Ankara Fen Lisesi. He is married to Muruvvet Buyukboyaci. His home town is Erzurum, Turkey.

Selim Hanay received his Ph.D. degree in Physics from Caltech in 2011. Since then he has been working in the Caltech Physics Department first as a post-doctoral research fellow and then as a research scientist. His research has focused on Nano Electromechanical Systems (NEMS), working in the group of Professor Michael Roukes. Together with his team, he has developed NEMS devices capable of detecting and weighing single protein molecules in real time.

His future research will focus on further advancing these nanoscale machines to accomplish unprecedented sensing and characterization modalities for biologic samples at the single-molecule level. These investigations have immense potential in biochemical research (such as proteomics and cancer studies) as well as environmental applications (such as monitoring of air pollution and nanotoxicity). His research results have been highlighted in several media outlets, such as the New York Times, IEEE Spectrum,Scientific American, Discover Magazine and Slashdot.

 

12

Selim Hanay gave the following informations about the nanomechanical scale which they are working on:‘’Two different frequency vibration is working on the feature with that the mass of a molecule (by measuring the change in frequency) can be measured. In this way, we can measure the mass of a single molecule.

 Even one-hundred-millionth of a meter in length, a molecule, a Nano-particle or the mass of a virus  you can gauge. Also, molecules that cannot be seen even with a microscope , can be detected even in this way,. Nano-scale, almost measures at the atomic level.”

https://youtu.be/0n6IbOd-lyA

13
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Oktay Sinanoğlu

 Oktay Sinanoğlu is a Turkish Scientist of theoretical chemistry and molecular biology. He was the youngest person in the past century to attain a status of professor when he earned the status at the age of 28. Also, he has been nominated to Nobel award in chemistry twice. He is also one of the most successful people about protection of Turkish Language. Sinanoğlu was born on February 25,1936 in Bari, Italy where his father served as a consul general. In 1939 ,by the commence of World War II the family returned to Turkey. In 1953,he attended the high school “TED Yenişehir Lisesi” in Ankara  and after graduating won a scholarship for education of chemistry in the USA In 1956,he graduated from Berkeley in chemical engineering with the highest rank. In only eight months, he graduated from MIT in 1957 with the highest degree. In two years, he finished his doctorate at the University of California in Berkeley.In 1960,Sinanoğlu started working as associate professor at Yale University. He theorized the “Many-Electron Theory of Atoms and Molecules” in 1962 by solving a mathematical theorem that had been unsolved for 50 years. The same year, he earned the “Alfred P. Sloan” prize. As appointed professor in 1963 at the age of only 28, he became the youngest person in the past century at Yale to attain the status as a full professor. He got his second life-long chair in Yale in Moleculer Biology. Sinanoğlu was the first to earn the Alexander Von Humboldt’s Science Prize in 1973.In 1975 he won the award of Japan’s International Outstanding Scientist. In the 1980’s he theorized a new method from 180 theories concerning mathematics and physics, considered revolutionary, which enables chemists to predict the ways in which chemicals combine in the laboratory and to solve other complex problems in chemistry using simple pictures and periodic tables.

15

 Also, he took his place in the Academy of Arts & Sciences. In 1993 he moved to Turkey to teach at the Yıldız Teknik University and officially retired at the age of 67. Yet his scientific researches has not ceased. He received several international and local awards concerning his scientific and social contributions and efforts. He has been to many places including Asia and Latin America.He tried to establish strong communications between and Japan,India and Turkey. Because of his efforts, he was given the title “Special Emissary” of Japan-Turkey. He worked for better education, purified language in Turkey most of his life and strived to form a conscious generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWmW2LX7VYI&feature=youtu.be

16
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

 Mahmut Gazi Yaşargil

 Mahmut Gazi Yasargil was born July 6, 1925, in Lice, a village in eastern Turkey.  He attended Ankara Atatürk High School and Ankara University in Ankara from 1931 to 1943. In 1944, he entered medical school at Frederick Schiller University in Jena, Germany. Afterwards, he transferred to medical school at Basel, Switzerland, where he obtained his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1950. After completing residency in Psychiatry, Internal Medicine, General Surgery and Neurosurgery he become Chief Resident in Neurosurgery at the University of Zurich, Switzerland in 1957,where he became first Assistant Professor in 1965, and later Associate Professor in 1969. In 1973, he became  the chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery, University of Zurich succeeding his mentor, Prof. Krayenbuhl. Over the next 20 years, he carried out laboratory work and clinical applications of micro techniques, performing 7500 intracranial operations in Zurich until his retirement in 1993. In 1994, Yaşargil accepted an appointment as Professor of Neurosurgery at the College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock where he is still active in the practice of micro-neurosurgery, research, and teaching.

 Together with Harvey Cushing, Yaşargil is acknowledged as one of the greatest neurosurgeons of the twentieth century. Dissatisfied with the available macrosurgical techniques and encouraged by colleagues such as Donaghy and Krayenbühl, M. Gazi Yaşargil further improved emerging technologies such as angiography to develop microsurgery. To enable the advancement of microsurgical techniques, Yaşargil created innovative instrumentation, such as the floating microscope, the self-retaining adjustable retractor, microsurgical instruments, and ergonomic aneurysm clips and appliers. His genius in developing microsurgical techniques for use in cerebrovascular neurosurgery has transformed the outcomes of patients with conditions that were previously inoperable.

 

18

 Prof. Dr. M. Gazi Yasargil is the receipient of numerous awards, to name few: Pioneer Microsurgeon Award of the International Microsurgical Society, Sidney,Australia (1981), Medical Award of the Republic of Turkey (1992), European Association of Neurological Surgeons Medal of Honor (1999), Honored as “Man of the Century 1950-2000” by the journal “Neurosurgery” at the Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting (1999).

 He has honorary memberships in various academies and societies such as Society of Neurological Surgeons,Canadian Neurosurgical Society, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Japan Neurosurgical Society, Royal Society of Medicine, London (Section of Neurology), Turkish Neurosurgical Society, International Skull Base Society (ISBS), Turkish Academy of Sciences and Harvey Cushing Society.

 Prof. Dr. M. Gazi Yasargil has over 350 publications with 13 monographs and over 41 contributions to handbooks and monographs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp84oN7NeZs&feature=youtu.be

19
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Türkan Saylan

 Türkan Saylan was a Turkish medical doctor in dermatology, academic, writer, teacher and social activist. She was famous for fighting leprosy, and for founding a charitable foundation called “Association for the Support of Contemporary Living”

  EARLY LIFE AND BACKGROUND

 She was born on 13 December 1935. She was the first born to Fasih Galip, one of the first building contractors in republican era, and Swiss Lili Mina Raiman who converted to Islam[1] and changed her name to Leyla after the marriage. She went to Kandilli Elementary School between 1944 and 1946. Between 1946 and 1953 she went to Kandilli Girls Highschool. She graduated from İstanbul Medical School in 1963. Later on, she worked as a doctor in the department of dermatological and venereal diseases in SSK Nisantasi Hospital. In 1976, she started to study on lepra and founded Fight Against Lepra Association and Foundation. She was awarded “International Gandhi Award” in 1986, India. She worked as a consultant in lepra for World Health Organization until 2006.

21

 She took a part in foundation of Laboratory of Derma pathology, Behcet’s Disease and Policlinics of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. She has worked as the voluntary head physician in Istanbul Lepra Hospital for 21 years, between 1981 and 2002.

She got married in 1957 and had two children. She has four grand children. Had suffered from breast cancer for 17 years, she died on 18 May 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVSZs0Y6zVA

22
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Mehmet Öz

 Mehmet Öz is a Turkish-American cardiothoracic surgeon, Columbia University professor, pseudoscience promoter, author and television personality.

Öz was born in 1960 Cleveland, Ohio, to Suna and Mustafa Öz, who had emigrated from Konya Province, Turkey. Mustafa born in Bozkır, a small town in central Turkey, earned scholarships that allowed him to emigrate to the United States as a medical resident in 1955. Suna who comes from a wealthy Istanbul family, is the daughter of a pharmacist with Circassian descent on her mother’s side.

 Öz was educated at Tower Hill School in Wilmington, Delaware. In 1982, he received his undergraduate degree in biology at Harvard University. In 1986, he obtained MD and MBA degrees respectively at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

 Öz has been a professor at the Department of Surgery at Columbia University since 2001. He directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. His research interests include heart replacement surgery, minimally invasive cardiac surgery and health care policy. In 2010, Öz joined Jeff Arnold as co-founder of Sharecare, Inc., providing an interactive question and answer platform for industry experts to answer health-related questions.

 

24

Öz has been a professor at the Department of Surgery at Columbia University since 2001. He directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. His research interests include heart replacement surgery, minimally invasive cardiac surgery and health care policy. In 2010, Öz joined Jeff Arnold as co-founder of Sharecare, Inc., providing an interactive question and answer platform for industry experts to answer health-related questions.

 Öz appeared as a health expert on The Oprah Winfrey Show for five seasons. On the show, he addressed issues like Type 2 diabetes and promoted resveratrol supplements, which he stated were anti-aging. He currently hosts The Dr. Öz Show on television and a talk show on Sirius XM Radio. He also currently does a health segment on 1010 WINS titled “Your Daily Dose”.

 Time magazine ranked Öz at 44th on its list of the “100 Most Influential People in 2008” and Esquire magazine placed him on its list of the “75 Most Influential People of the 21st Century”. He was named one of “The Harvard 100 Most Influential Alumni” by 02138 magazine. He won the Gross Surgical Research Scholarship. He was listed in “Doctors of the Year” by Hippocrates magazine and in “Healers of the Millennium” by Healthy Living magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD_2DE-LR1E&feature=youtu.be

25
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Cahit Arf

 He was born in Selanik in 1910. He studied his primary school in the first part of high school, which was called as ‘’Sultani’’ in those days, and a young teacher which he met in  5th grade made him to be interested in Mathematics. When he was half way in high school, he could solve the maths problems which his classmates could not solve and Cahit Arf’s this talent attracted his family’s and teachers’ attention. After that, Arf was sent to Paris to study at St. Louis High School in Paris. He completed his high school education in two years instead of three years and went back to Turkey. In those times, he won an exam which was organised by Turkish Government and went back to France to be enrolled in École Normale Supérieure School, which some of scientists were studied.

            After his higher education, he went back to Turkey and worked in GS High School as a teacher for a while and then worked in Istanbul University Mathematics Faculty as Assistant Professor. In 1937, he went to Göttingen University Mathematics Faculty to do his doctorate and his doctorate work made him well-known worldwide.

            Cahit Arf completed his doctorate work about ‘’ non-commutative Class Field” in a year and a half. Some of the results of this work were called ‘’Hasse-Arf Theorem’’ in technical literature. In 1938, he finished his doctorate thesis and continued his works in Göttingen one more year and did his excellent work called ‘’Arf Invariant’’ which has a place in algebra and differential topology in that period.

27

   Cahit Arf, who was one of the founders of TUBITAK, worked as the chairperson in TUBITAK Science Committee in 1963-1967 and 1967-1971. He won TUBITAK Science Award for his achievements in Mathematics in 1974.

      Cahit Arf, who carried on his researches at Institue for Advanced Study at Princeton between 1964-1966 and was a guest associate at California University later on returned to Turkey in 1967 and started to work at ODTU Mathematics Faculty and retired in 1980 from this university.

      Arf received doctorate of honour in 1980 from ITU and Karadeniz TU and in 1981 from ODTU. He was chosen to be the member of honour in 1983.

      He passed away in 26th December 1997, leaving a mark as the symbol of mathematics in our country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXuDiaALK_o&feature=youtu.be

28
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Aziz Sancar

 Aziz Sancar who is still Biochemistry and Biophysics instructor in Univercity of North Carolina. He was born into where he spoke Arabic with his parents and Turkish with his siblings in Mardin province Turkey, in 1946. He has born as a child of farmer family. He says that his family didn’t know how to read or write but they were cared about education.  He finished his first education in Mardin. Then he studied in İstanbul Univercity Faculty of Medicine. After that He went to Dallas and finished his docorate of Molecular Biology. He studied about DNA repairing in Yale Univercity. He kept working on DNA repairing, cell array and cure of the cancer. He has published 415 scientific articles and 33 books. He is married with a woman who is a biochemistry professor and a instructor Gwen Boles Sancar. He and her wife have estimated an foundation named Aziz&Gwen Foundation for Turkish students in US. He was awarded the 2015 Nobel Prize in Chemistry along with Tomas Lindahl and Paul L. Modrich for their mechanistic studies of DNA repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0feAv5NGRbE

30
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Mete Atatüre

Mete Atatüre graduated from Ankara Gazi Anatolian High School in 1996 and was accepted to Bilkent University Physics Department. After graduating in 1996, he started his Ph.D. study as a scholarship student at Boston University.

Here Atatüre participated in the Quantum Imaging Laboratory, and did research on quantum physical properties from non-linear light sources with names such as Malvin Teich, Bahaa Saleh and Alexander Sergienko.

After receiving his doctorate in 2002, he joined Zurich Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in the Quantum Photonics Laboratory where he worked as a researcher (postdoc) in the group of Atac Imamoglu.

Atatüre, who was awarded Velia Legend (Dozent) in 2006, founded his own research institute at Cambridge University in 2007 and started working on quantum physics and technology of the future and became a professor in 2015.

 

32

From 2010 to 2015, he was a scientific adviser to China’s National Quantum Technology Program within the Academy of Science Academy’s Elite Invitations Program, where he joined the Physics Institute in the UK and the Science Academy in Turkey.

Atatüre, who signed more than 60 scientific publications, is currently working in Cambridge with a research group of 15 people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28LIYbvM1o0&feature=youtu.be

33
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Omer Ozkan

35
Turkish Scientists by ege darıcı - Illustrated by Besiktas Ataturk Anatolian High School students - Ourboox.com

Thank you for reading our book !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA2rknJ0oTw&feature=youtu.be

 

 

38
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content