Charles Darwin and Winston Churchill: the DNA of Success by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Illustrated by Cover By Miki Peled - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Charles Darwin and Winston Churchill: the DNA of Success

by

Artwork: Cover By Miki Peled

After fruitful careers as a scientist and inventor I've gone back to what I love most - writing children's books Read More
  • Joined Oct 2013
  • Published Books 1552

Just a few weeks ago, June and Howard picked us up at the train station in Greenwich and we went looking for a house.

 

Two houses, actually.  One belonged to Charles. The other belonged to Winston. We had a splendid day in the Kent countryside. Best of all, if hardly rained at all.

 

And it got me thinking.

 

 

 

 

2
A summertime trip through the narrow roads of Kent, UK

Winston was born in 1874 and Charles died in 1882. They might have met when Winston was a rambunctious six year old and Charles a famous but kind elderly gentleman. I would like to think that such a meeting occurred, but I cannot confirm it.

4
Charles Darwin and Winston Churchill: the DNA of Success by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Illustrated by Cover By Miki Peled - Ourboox.com

They might have talked about hobbies. Charles liked to collect beetles. He might have shown the young Winston his beetle collection.

 

Winston was preoccupied with soldiers. I am not sure he appreciated Charles’ beetle collection when he was a child. But later on in life Winston did develop a passion for raising butterflies. So who knows?

6
Charles Darwin

The young Winston might have told Charles that he was a bad pupil and had been thrown out of school. Charles might have told Winston that he had been a very average lad himself. He recalled his father telling him “You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat-catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.”

 

Perhaps Charles showed Winston a picture of his Dad, Dr. Robert Darwin. That would have been ironic. When Winston grew up, he looked pretty much the same.

 

 

8
Charles Darwin and Winston Churchill: the DNA of Success by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Illustrated by Cover By Miki Peled - Ourboox.com

Perhaps Charles told the young Winston how he had sailed for years on a ship called the “Beagle” in order to establish his reputation and become a ‘somebody’. He studied the life and death of plants and animals, and how they compete with one another for resources. He studied their survival and how they change over millions of years. He wrote and wrote. He was passionate about his career.

Winston would later travel on many ships to observe and fight in wars. He studied the life and death of humans and how they compete with one another and how cruel they can be. He barely survived himself. Winston also wrote and wrote. He wrote many books and articles. Just like Charles.

10
a logbook of Charles Darwin

Did Charles tell the young Winston that he didn’t become famous overnight? It took him many years. He published his most famous book when he was 50 years old!

 

Was Winston paying attention? After all, he himself became Prime Minister of England in 1940, when was 65 years old!!

12
Charles Darwin and Winston Churchill: the DNA of Success by Mel Rosenberg - מל רוזנברג - Illustrated by Cover By Miki Peled - Ourboox.com

During their meeting did the elderly Charles notice Winston’s lisp (which he would work so hard to overcome)? Did he notice the powers of observation that they both shared? Did he know that Winston was being raised by a nanny, rather than by his parents? Did he have an incling that the young problematic child was destined for greatness, just as he had been?

 

Or was Charles preoccupied with his worms, beetles, bees and flowers?

 

I am quite sure, though,  that at the end of their encounter, Winston helped himself to delicious jam and bread, just as we did. Kids will be kids.

14
Jam and bread at the home of Charles Darwin

Thank you for reading my book!

If you like it, you might also want to read other books on the DNA of Success:

Richard Cory and the DNA of Success

 

 

 

www.ourboox.com

Here is a tutorial to help you get started on your own voyage as an Ourboox con s write me at

[email protected]

16

Read more about us and see other books on Ourboox (I myself have written many)

www.ourboox.com

Here is a tutorial to help you get started on your own voyage as an Ourboox contributor!!

http://www.ourboox.com/books/create-a-book-ourboox-video-tutorial/

 

17
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Skip to content