Helium by hadi jawarish - Illustrated by Hadi Jawarish - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Helium

by

Artwork: Hadi Jawarish

  • Joined Nov 2022
  • Published Books 1
Helium by hadi jawarish - Illustrated by Hadi Jawarish - Ourboox.com
Helium; The image is of the sun because helium gets its name from ‘helios’, the Greek word for the sun. Helium was detected in the sun by its spectral lines many years before it was found on Earth.
Helium Element - Visual Elements Periodic Table
Discovery date 1895
Discovered by Sir William Ramsay in London, and independently by Per Teodor Cleve and Nils Abraham Langlet in Uppsala, Sweden
Origin of the name The name is derived from the Greek, ‘helios’ meaning sun, as it was in the sun’s corona that helium was first detected.
3

 Fact box

Group 18 Melting point Unknown
Period 1 Boiling point −268.928°C, −452.07°F, 4.222 K
Block s Density (g cm−3) 0.000164
Atomic number 2 Relative atomic mass 4.003
State at 20°C Gas Key isotopes 4He
Electron configuration 1s2 CAS number 7440-59-7
4
Uses
Helium is used as a cooling medium for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), and the superconducting magnets in MRI scanners and NMR spectrometers. It is also used to keep satellite instruments cool and was used to cool the liquid oxygen and hydrogen that powered the Apollo space vehicles.
Because of its low density helium is often used to fill decorative balloons, weather balloons and airships. Hydrogen was once used to fill balloons but it is dangerously reactive.
Because it is very unreactive, helium is used to provide an inert protective atmosphere for making fibre optics and semiconductors, and for arc welding. Helium is also used to detect leaks, such as in car air-conditioning systems, and because it diffuses quickly it is used to inflate car airbags after impact.
A mixture of 80% helium and 20% oxygen is used as an artificial atmosphere for deep-sea divers and others working under pressurised conditions.
Helium-neon gas lasers are used to scan barcodes in supermarket checkouts. A new use for helium is a helium-ion microscope that gives better image resolution than a scanning electron microscope.
5
Biological role
Helium has no known biological role. It is non-toxic.
6
Natural abundance
After hydrogen, helium is the second most abundant element in the universe. It is present in all stars. It was, and is still being, formed from alpha-particle decay of radioactive elements in the Earth. Some of the helium formed escapes into the atmosphere, which contains about 5 parts per million by volume. This is a dynamic balance, with the low-density helium continually escaping to outer space.
It is uneconomical to extract helium from the air. The major source is natural gas, which can contain up to 7% helium.
7
9
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content