How to Become President of the United States by Aleasha Potratz - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

How to Become President of the United States

  • Joined Feb 2019
  • Published Books 1

First, to run for office, a person need to meet three requirements established by the United States Constitution.

  1. A presidential candidate must be a natural born citizen.
  2.  At least 35 years old.
  3. A United States resident for at least 14 years.
2
How to Become President of the United States by Aleasha Potratz - Ourboox.com

Step 1: Primaries and Caucuses

In the United States there are two main political parties, Democrats and Republicans. Many people want to be president, these people campaign around the country and compete against each other to try to win their parties nomination.
In caucuses, party members meet to discuss and vote for who they think would be the best part candidate.
In primaries, party members vote in a state election for the candidate they want to represent them in the general election.

 

4
How to Become President of the United States by Aleasha Potratz - Ourboox.com

Step 2: National Conventions and General Election

After the primaries and caucuses, each major party holds a national convention to select a Presidential nominee. The party’s Presidential nominee announces his or her choice for Vice President. The Presidential candidates campaign throughout the country to win the support of the general population. On election day people in every state cast their vote.
6
How to Become President of the United States by Aleasha Potratz - Ourboox.com

Step 3: The Electoral College

When people cast their vote, they are actually voting for a group of people called electors. The number of electors each state gets is equal to its total number of Senators and Representatives in Congress. A total of 538 electors from the Electoral College. Each elector casts one vote following the general election. The candidate who gets 270 votes or more wins. The newly elected President and Vice President are then inaugurated on January 20th.
8
How to Become President of the United States by Aleasha Potratz - Ourboox.com

Interesting Facts About Past Presidents

  • George Washington was the only president unanimously elected. Meaning all of the state representatives voted for him.
  • John Adams died on the same day as Thomas Jefferson, July 4th, 1826. This day was also the 50th anniversary of the approval of the Declaration of Independence!
  • Thomas Jefferson was also an accomplished architect. He designed his famous home at Monticello as well as buildings for the University of Virginia.
  • James Madison and George Washington are the only presidents who signed the Constitution.
  • James Madison was the shortest president at 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighed 100 pounds. Abraham Lincoln was the tallest president at 6 feet 4 inches tall (Lyndon B. Johnson was also 6′ 4″).
  • James Monroe was the 5th president, but the 3rd to die on the 4th of July.
  • On the day he was shot, Lincoln told his bodyguard that he had a dream that he would be assassinated.
10
How to Become President of the United States by Aleasha Potratz - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content