LONDON
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

London

by

Artwork: Ayşe Ecem Korkmaz, Sıla Gümüş, Ecem Dağyar

  • Joined Oct 2023
  • Published Books 3

LONDON

 

2

9 Facts About London That You Probably Didn’t Know

1. The smallest City in England is London.

The City of London is actually about 1.2 square miles in size, otherwise known as the “Square Mile” and it has a population of roughly 7,500 people. On the contrary hand, Greater London is a 606 square mile area of England that is home to around 8.7 million people.,

2. Big Ben isn’t really called Big Ben.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that iconic London tower you’ve been calling Big Ben isn’t really called Big Ben. Actually, the clock in the Tower is the one that is called “Big Ben.” In honor of the Queen’s diamond jubilee, the famed Tower’s name was changed from Clock Tower to Elizabeth Tower in 2012.

3

3. There are over 170 museums in London, including 11 national ones.

4. London is considered a forest.

There are almost as many trees in London as there are people.

5. Over 300 languages are spoken in London.

The top five non-English languages reportedly spoken are Polish, Turkish, Bengali, French, and Punjabi.

6. London was once the capital of 6 countries at the same time.

In World War II, London served as the governing capital for other European countries which were conquered by Germany. The leaders of Norway, Poland, Belgium, France, and The Netherlands stayed in London between 1939 and 1945.

4

7. Feeding the pigeons in Trafalgar Square is illegal.

Although pigeons (or, as the locals refer to them, “flying rats”) are an important feature of Trafalgar Square, it is illegal to feed them, and seed sellers have been banned from the area since 2003. However, protesters still feed these hungry birdies on its northern terrace. Tuppence a bag, you say… better think carefully.

 

8. Flying a kite is illegal.

The Metropolitan Police Act of 1839 states that it is illegal to fly a kite in parks, other public areas, or in a way that annoys other people. And if you ever fly a kite in violation of the law, you risk receiving a fine of up to £500.

 

9. London has hosted the Olympics three times.

 

5
London by Ayşe Ecem Korkmaz - Illustrated by Ayşe Ecem Korkmaz, Sıla Gümüş, Ecem Dağyar - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content