MORE ABOUT ANTARTICA by Aviva Taragin - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

MORE ABOUT ANTARTICA

  • Joined Jan 2016
  • Published Books 17
MORE ABOUT ANTARTICA by Aviva Taragin - Ourboox.com

ALL ABOUT ICE SHEETS

 

When new snow falls on the surface it doesn’t melt, but gradually builds up over time.

Eventually, the weight of the snow squeezes out the air in the layers of snow below until they turn into ice.

Gradually, these layers become part of the ice sheets, storing 70% of the world’s fresh water.

The sheer weight of the ice pushes down the land beneath by as much as 500 metres!

The amount of ice in Antarctica’s ice sheets is important to us all. By measuring the volume of ice scientists can detect signs of melting from global warming.

 

3

Most of Antarctica looks like this

The West Antarctic Ice Sheet is an icy wilderness, flat and white in every direction.

Most of Antarctica looks like this; windy, hostile and bitterly cold!

4

Speeding into the Drake’s Passage

RRS James Clark Ross passes through the Lemaire Channel in the Antarctic Peninsula

on its way north away from Antarctica and into the Drake’s Passage,

the world’s stormiest and roughest part of the ocean.

6

Diving takes place all year round at Rothera Research Station, even when the sea is frozen!

Marine science continues through Antarctica’s frozen winter months to maintain a continuous data record for the region

8

High winds

Science in the Antarctic can be particularly challenging, especially when the wind blows.

Antarctica has the fastest Katabatic winds on the planet which can reach a staggering 200mph!

10

On thin ice

Royal Research Ship James Clark Ross smashes its way through thick pack ice in the Weddell Sea on its way to study sea ice in the region.

12

Emperor penguins are the biggest of all the penguins and breed in large colonies on the sea ice around Antarctica.

Penguins are the most common birds in the Antarctic.

They live in colonies with populations larger than some cities, and surviving in the harshest of conditions.

Penguin wings are short, stiff flippers which propel them underwater.

14

LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE CHALLENGE

Find out about twelve key events in the history of Antarctica’s discovery and exploration, and practice your longitude and latitude skills.

18

WHO’S EATING WHO ACTIVITY

Who’s eating who?

The inhabitants of Antarctica’s waters depend on different plants and other organisms for their food.

Many of them have a mixed diet.

At the same time, they can be the favourite food of other organisms that prey on them.

19

WHO’S LOOKING AT YOU ACTIVITY

You have to be tough to survive in Antarctica.

Here we take a look at some of the animals and how they adapt and act in order to survive.

20
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content