Perfect Guide for Writing an Annotated Bibliography

by ca.edubirdie

This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Perfect Guide for Writing an Annotated Bibliography

  • Joined Jan 2021
  • Published Books 15
Perfect Guide for Writing an Annotated Bibliography by ca.edubirdie - Ourboox.com

An annotated bibliography is a list of book, article, and document citations formatted according to the discipline’s style guidelines (MLA, APA, Chicago, and many more). Following each citation is a short descriptive and evaluative section. Unlike abstracts, which are purely descriptive summaries that are found at the start of academic journals, annotations are both descriptive and critical. The annotation aims to inform the reader about the relevance, correctness, and quality of the sources cited. In addition, the annotation reveals the author’s point of view, the clarity and suitability of expression, as well as the author’s authority. Below is a guide for writing an annotated bibliography.

3

Pick the Sources

It is essential to choose reputable sources before beginning to write an annotated bibliography. Here is where one’s research skills prove useful they should find documents related to the material that could be useful in the topic. It is crucial to choose scholarly papers that are no more than five years old.

Review the Elements

The elements should be checked after the sources have been chosen. They should always select items that provide a different point of view on the topic. The abstracts of articles are crucial in this process.

4

Write the Citation

Write a full citation first, followed by the annotation. The entry is one’s annotated bibliography. It should be a citation. As a result, the student should place the citation at the top and adhere to the appropriate citation format, such as APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other. They also do not need to include a different reference list, references, or works cited page. One should include in-text citations in their annotated bibliography.

5

Write the Annotation

Make an annotation right after the citation. Keep in mind! An ideal and informative annotated bibliography is 150-200 words long. A student can buy an annotated bibliography at ca.edubirdie, where professional writers write these bibliographies from Canada. Creating an annotated bibliography entails the following steps:

  • The purpose of the work
  • A content summary
  • The authors target audience
  • Relevance to the main topic
  • Any distinctive or unique features significant to the material
  • The material’s weaknesses, biases, or strengths

Annotated bibliographies can be organized chronologically or alphabetically. Understand that the instructor’s preference is what one must consider.

6

Annotated Bibliography Format

The standard formats which a student’s supervisor will prefer to include in ones instructions are:

    • MLA Style
    • APA Style
    • Chicago Style

Remember, the following two features remain the same in each type of annotated bibliography:

    • Author’s name, which should be on the left.
    • All other texts must be indented.

 

7

Conclusion

An annotated bibliography includes a summary of each entry. Annotations serve to present the reader with a brief overview and evaluation of each source. Each summary has to be a concise explanation of the source’s fundamental idea and provide the reader with a general understanding of the source’s content.

8
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content