National Programs

by EFL Israel

This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

National Programs

  • Joined Dec 2016
  • Published Books 9

Speak UP

 

https://sites.google.com/view/speakup1

☞ Speak UP is an exciting new educational initiative designed to promote the speaking of English at the Foundation and Pre-foundation levels ( Grades 3-6).

☞ The Primary Aim of the program is to promote the acquisition of a large bank of chunked and contextually based spoken language, by young learners.

☞ Speak UP aims to empower young learners to speak English, by scaffolding and re-entering structured and meaningful spoken language, over the 3-4 year period of learning in elementary school.

☞ Enjoyable Interactions with simple dialogues, chants and assorted spoken texts, in the privacy of his own home, helps the pupil build confidence and overcome the inhibition, that many pupils experience in class.

☞ Piloted last year ( תשע“ז ) in the Northern District, teachers were sent assorted conversations, dialogues, mini-raps and chants, by their Ministry School English Counselor.

☞ Spoken texts were constructed based upon curriculum relevant topics, everyday situations, relevant expressions, and assorted school events ( e.g. road safety week, .(נושא מרוכז ארצי)

☞ Teachers were encouraged to practice in class and then forward the taped materials to their students via a “broadcast only” WhatsApp group, set up specifically for this purpose with their parents.

☞ Students were then asked to practice the role plays with their parents and/or friends at home (“just for fun and not for homework”) .

☞ As the project began to resonate, more and more pupils joined in. They expanded upon the original texts, added to the dialogues, incorporated costumes for video clips, and even initiated new conversations.

☞ The teachers replied directly via whatsapp to the students, with their taped praise, feedback and words of encouragement.

☞ Surprisingly, in many cases, students made numerous attempts until they were pleased with their work, and then sent the teacher all of their recordings, thereby enabling her to praise them for their hard work and effort.

☞ Shy children, reluctant to actively participate in class lessons, enjoyed the speaking practice with people of their choice in the privacy of their own homes. Extroverted pupils assumed “center stage” and were delighted .

Speak UP is now a national program which you are invited cordially to join with your students!

For More Information Contact:

Lori Roth

National Counselor for Promoting Speaking in Elementary School

[email protected]

Cell: 054-5627043

2
National Programs by EFL Israel - Ourboox.com
National Programs by EFL Israel - Ourboox.com

Let’s Talk

Promoting Spoken English in 7th Grade

 

https://sites.google.com/view/letstalk7/unit-1

 

Speaking in public in our L1 can be intimidating. Some people are naturally shy. But, when it comes to L2, or even L3, the fear of speaking is compounded: What if I make a mistake?
What if someone laughs at my accent? What if…?

Our goal is to build on the language the students already have, and to encourage even the most self-conscience students to slowly build up expressions and lexical chunks in order to improve their oral skills and self – confidence. These lessons are NOT about correcting grammar – our emphasis is on fluency and opening up more channels of communication in junior high. It’s all about having fun with oral interaction in English as the means!

 

 

5

Keep Talking

National 10th Grade Speaking Program

 

https://sites.google.com/view/keep-talking/home

 

We would all agree that there is a need to raise the level of oral proficiency in English among Israeli students, not only in preparation for the oral component of the matriculation exam, but also as preparation for active participation in today’s global world. Consequently, one of the national goals for promoting English proficiency this year is the improvement of students’ English speaking skills. The Ministry of Education has created a new 10th grade program – ‘Keep Talking’ – allocating an extra 30 hours of English speaking classes to all pupils in the 10th grade.

In order to enable our students to speak confidently and fluently, we have to give ample pair and group work speaking activities in our classrooms. These activities need to be relevant and authentic, and provide useful lexical items for students to learn, use and recycle, both inside and outside the classroom. This program aims to address this issue.

 

 

 

6
National Programs by EFL Israel - Ourboox.com

Diplomacy and International Communication in English

 

http://edu.gov.il/mazhap/IntlComm

 

Diplomacy and International Communication in English offers an opportunity for students to learn and work as a team, understand and use mass media and other social platforms, develop language awareness, consensus building skills, conflict management skills, and develop abilities in critical and innovative thinking.

All of these skills are integrated into a course of study that emphasizes an appreciation of cultural diversity and its impact on the worlds of business and foreign relations.

As a student, parent or interested member of the public, on this site you may discover more about the major and keep up-to-date about events.

 

8
National Programs by EFL Israel - Ourboox.com
National Programs by EFL Israel - Ourboox.com

Ladders

The National Program to Promote English Teaching and Learning

 

https://sites.google.com/site/sulamotladders/home

 

The Ladders Program – additional teaching hours for high school students within the framework of  The National Program to Promote English Teaching and Learning.

11
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content